Chapter 12: High School Parties

"Can we not do this, please. I really don't want to go to this stupid party" I whine. We've been in this mall for 3 freaking hours finding the "perfect dress" for me.

"Sweetie tell that to someone who cares," Olivia says.

"Because we sure don't" Katelyn jumps in. I groan as I sat down on one of the chairs in the dressing room while they skim through the dresses. Suddenly the two of them squeal, I jump in shock "Go try this on" they say in unison as they shove me into the dressing room with the dress. I finally take a look at myself in the dress. I gape at the girl standing in front of me looking graciously beautiful. The dress in gold sequin reaches mid-thighs and the sleeves are quatre.

"Today Catherine" Olivia yells from outside, I quickly open the door and give them a twirl. They giggle "Someone is going to have a hard time keeping the guys away from you tonight" Olivia winks, I gape at her "No, Sterling and I are just friends" I blush.

"I didn't say it was Sterling" Katelyn giggles at this. I narrow my eyes at her

"Well! Katelyn, why are you going to this party, I thought you hated parties?" I change the subject quickly.

"Oh, she can make an exception just for Justin" Olivia states shamelessly, Katelyn blushes as we grin at her.

"I could say the same about you, Olivia." I wiggle my brows at her she mutters a "Shut up" before escaping to the bill counter.

I pull Katelyn to the side. "I know you were at the tracks on the night of the race," I state she attempts to protest but I raise my hand to stop her. "Don't even try to deny it I saw you with... Lauren" I cringe at the bitter taste when I say her name.

"I... uh Lauren and Dominic are my step-sister and brother. Their father abuses my mother if I don't go to these things and bring him his ...... stuff" she explains. My mouth falls open in shock and terror. "You have got to report this Katelyn. This is serious." I say in a hushed whisper.

"Don't you think I've tried but he has connections...... just promise you won't tell this to anyone okay?" she says.

I hesitantly agree "I promise"

It was 7 when I reached the party, pushing my way through the sweaty bodies I finally found Jesse next to the stairs. "Hey you made-" finally noticing my appearance he mumbled a "Damn girl" before dragging me to where the rest of them were seated. As soon as they noticed me the boys' jaws dropped to the ground while the girls smirked winking at me.

Justin wolf-whistled but quickly discontinued his act as Sterling glared at him.

"So, what do you think Sterling? How does she look?" Olivia smirks.

"She.... Uh... she... looks pretty," he smiles at me. I see a tinge of pink on his ears.

Olivia teases, "Pretty, huh?"

He replies, "yeah".

I blush under his gaze before turning to Zander as I simper at Olivia.

"Zander, why don't you ask Olivia for a dance since she's been babbling to do it for a while now," I say and Olivia glares my way but I wave her off. Soon Justin too asks Katelyn. Jason and Jess excuse themselves for a drink. Now it's just Sterling and me. "I thought you hated these things?" Sterling was the first one to break the silence "I could ask you the same but I'm here for the same reason as you are" I smiled sheepishly.

"Your friends forced you too?" he asks.

I nod. He's about to say something but my arm was tugged by a drunk guy "Hey beautiful! You wanna dance?" he slurs. I scrunch my nose in disgust "No" I bluntly reply but he seems to force me which causes smoke to come out of Sterling's ears "When a girl says no, it means NO." With that, he throws a punch straight on his face we hear a crack. The drunk guy collapses on the floor. Not even a second later we hear his snores which make me bust out laughing. Tears forms in my eyes; I don't even remember laughing this hard in years. Sterling is looking at me smiling like a creep, I sober up "What?" I ask

"Nothing, just your laugh...... it's beautiful" I blush. I shove him as he chuckles "Now don't go all corny on me Johnson" I say playfully. He's about to say something but is cut off by someone yelling "What the actual hell do you think you're doing?" and that someone happens to be Justin. Sterling and I share a look before rushing to the site of the fight.

There are five bulky guys, covered in tattoos and piercings. Giving themselves a gang type look, they are all twice the size of Justin yet they are very badly injured while just in only seem to have a broken arm and some bruises. Katelyn is crying hysterically trying to get out of Jesse's hold. Olivia is in a state of shock and horror. She looks visibly shaken Zander and Sterling are trying to stop the fight. Just as Sterling pulls an unconscious Justin out of the fight "Get the girls home okay, I'll take him to the hospital" he says, noticing my concerned gaze on Justin. He assures me "He'll be fine. Promise" I nod before dragging both Olivia and Katelyn into my car before driving off as they doze off in the back seat of my car.