Chapter 20

Four Hundred and Thirty-One Days After Escape | Wednesday | October 29th

Hours have passed and the box of pictures had been closed but not yet put away. It sits on the table next to Virgil as he works on his latest assignment for his art class. He hadn't gone to today's volunteer hours, almost afraid to leave Remy alone for too long. Not because he doesn't trust Remy, but he knows Remy and he knows that despite how they had joked and laughed earlier the other is still terrified and in pain from yesterday's ordeal.

Remy's was in the kitchen. He had asked Virgil if he could make them something as a way to say thanks. 'Knock yourself out' he had replied, knowing from first-hand experience that he was most likely doing this for the same reason Virgil had often helped with so many chores. He didn't want to feel like a burden, he felt guilty, he wanted some way to show his appreciation. This was how Virgil had said nothing about how he understood the feeling, just answered his questions about where things were anytime they were asked.

The sound of one of the cars pulling up the driveway and the others returning home brought a smile to Virgil's lips as they entered the house. "Hey Stormcloud," Roman says as he immediately comes to greet Virgil with a kiss.

Virgil smiles lightly, Roman's soft breaths tickling at his skin, "Hi Princey," Virgil replied as he put his pencil down. He looked up at the others, giving silent hello's.

"What are you making?" Patton asked Remy.

"Virgil said I can make a pie," He replied.

Patton's face widened in excitement and surprise, "You know how to make a pie from scratch!"

"We have the ingredients to make a pie?" Logan asked as he set his bags down.

Remy's normal cocky and confident smile returned at that moment, "Course I know how to make pie, it's one of the first things they teach you in culinary school,"

"You go to culinary school?" Patton asked, even more excitement entering his voice. If Patton hadn't chosen an education major, culinary school very well could have been his next option.

"Yeah, and I take a business class too. I wanna open a cafe,"

"You do?" Roman asks with mild interest, slightly more focused on what Virgil had been drawing when they entered. Bunnies, his professor must have asked them to draw outside their comfort zone again. Virgil wasn't very good at drawing animals. He did better with people and places. But abstract art, animals, and cartoons were not his forte.

Remy nods, "It seemed a little more reasonable than coffee critic,"

"What are you gonna name your cafe?" Patton asked

"Haven't gotten that far yet," Remy says as he flashes another smile, "My Ma always told me not to count my chickens before they hatch,"

Patton frowned slightly, "That doesn't sound very inspirational or encouraging,"

"She's not exactly that type of parent Patton," Virgil tells him.

Remy rolled his eyes, though it goes unseen behind the sunglasses they loaned him, "She's a reasonable woman, a big realist"

"And a bigger pessimist," Virgil interjects

"Like you can talk," Remy says jokingly.

Patton smiles at their playful banter as Remy finishes filling the pie and begins to lay the top over it. His face suddenly brightens in realization as he remembers something, "Oh! I almost forgot," He says as he runs to where Logan had put their bags, "We bought you some sunglasses!"