Chapter 24

TW: Kidnapping, Mobs/Stampedes, Snakes, Anxiety, Being held in heights, Hostage Situation, Blood, Cursing, Mentions of Daggers, Falling from heights, Pain/Injuries, Claustrophobia/Trapped in a bubble(?), Fire, Unconsciousness, Mentions of Suicide.

These are warnings for both this chapter and the next chapter. I was planning on making it all a single chapter but it was just too long so I had to split it and just did not want to organize which warning is for which chapter. Remember if you need a summary, please let me know and I will provide one.

Also, there's lots of platonic Sleepxiety but a friend who beta read this for me said it came off as kinda romantic, and I just wanted to clairify.

Four Hundred and Thirty-Six Days After Escape | Monday | November 3rd | Virgil's Birthday

Virgil and Remy walked side by side in costume, something that hadn't happened since high school. Across the busy and crowded field were Patton, Logan, and Roman, also in costume. They were there to make sure nothing happened during the meeting, and if something did happen to interfere as soon as possible. 

They were meeting the mystery group at the park, today was the last day of the fall festival so the place was extremely crowded and busy. There were all sorts of booths, games, and tables set up. Food trucks had been lined up one after another in the parking lot, multiple small mazes and haunted houses had been made out of tarps or had rented out a part of the parking lot, street, and even some buildings that had been for lease just in front of the park. Halloween decorations and lights had been set up everywhere, and the whole festival looked like an absolute blast, but they weren't here for that (to Virgil's disappointment).

Remy and Virgil stuck close together, not wanting to get separated amongst the crowds of people dressed as all sorts of characters and monsters. At one point Virgil had taken hold of Remy's hand, the large crowd beginning to get to him and his anxiety. Remy said nothing about it, he knew it would only make Virgil even more nervous if he did. And besides, them holding hands made the nervousness and fear that had settled in his stomach lessen slightly.

"Wow! Nice costumes!" a kid shouted as he and his two friends ran up to Remy and Virgil, "Can we get a picture? They look so real!"

"Uh sure, that sounds fine," Virgil said as he and Remy allowed the boys to pose in front of them and snap a photo before they ran off again, "I think that's the closest a kids ever willingly gotten to me while in this," Virgil said to Remy, who nodded in agreement.

"Are you doing okay Stormcloud?" Roman's voice came through the earpiece both ex-villains were wearing. 

Virgil smiled beneath the mask as he reached up to switch his mic on, "Yeah, just a bit nervous, but I'm fine," he assured the other. It wasn't just the crowds making him anxious, and the others knew this. Virgil hadn't worn his Shadow Master costume since Deceit and Remus tried to force him back into the job only for Virgil to turn on them in the middle of an attack. Virgil hadn't even taken his costume with him when they moved, he had left it in Deceit and Remus's house and he and Remy had had to go dig it out of his old room. They had had to find Remy's old costume from high school too. Virgil was not happy to be wearing it again, not at all.

"Have they contacted you with their location yet Remy?" Logan's voice asked.

Remy paused to pull his phone out of his pocket, "They're inflatables," he answered, "We'll head over there now"

"Careful," Patton spoke, "Be careful, and remember we care about you both."

Virgil smiled lightly, "Thanks Pat, we care about you guys too." 

Remy took Virgil's hand again as they continued towards the inflatables and through the crowd. They stopped a few yards away, hiding behind a food truck for a moment to gather themselves. From where they hid, they could see a small group of suited people standing next to the large inflatable castle. Virgil watched Remy take a couple of deep breaths, his face was slightly pale now and laced with fear as he pulled his mask back over his face. "Rem? You okay?" Virgil asked him, pulling his own mask on.