Jinternet Explorer

The majority of the day flew by.  JK and I had finished two entire baby books much to my surprise.  I suppose it does make sense that this robot would learn language quicker than a baby.  I guess I didn't really know what to expect.  

I needed a break.  We had been at it all day and the sun was starting to set.  I was all for teaching him English so that he was more useful to me, but I couldn't be at it all day every day.  JK and JinBot were distracted so I snuck out of the second bedroom that I used as my office.  JK had moved on to showing JinBot a few things online.  He promised nothing too complicated.  I trusted JK so I didn't feel the need to breathe over his shoulder and watch.  

I sat down on my sofa and turned on some music.  I just wanted to zone out for a little bit.  With all of this craziness I hadn't had time to just sit down and think.  I'd been in a constant state of stress and panic.  I was exhausted and I needed to think things through.  I just needed to relax.  I'll have JK take JinBot home for the night.  I'm not going to be able to relax with him around until I know he understands what I tell him.  If I shut him off completely he might lose what he's already learned since he's still in learning mode...

"JK?  Could you come here for a minute?  I need to talk to you."

"Yes.  Give me just a second."

Moments later bounded out of my office.  

"I'm really tired.  You and JinBot seem to be having a great time so do you think that you could take him home with you for the night?  You can either keep teaching him or just hang out.  I just need some sleep and I don't think I'll be able to actually rest with him here, at least for now.  He did try to kill me not too long ago." 

"I don't think he was trying to kill you!  Jin wouldn't hurt a fly.  Well maybe he'd hurt a fly because they're annoying and nobody likes them, but he wouldn't hurt a puppy!  I'm sure there's an explanation for that whole 'scanning' thing.  We could always call Raj and ask him."

"Raj has already helped enough for now..."

"He has been helpful.  I like him!"  JK, always trying to make friends.

"That's all well and good, but back to the matter at hand.  Would you be willing to take him?"

"Of course!  Jin is my second best friend!"

"Great.  Thank you."

"You're welcome!"  The voice didn't belong to JK.  

I turned to see JinBot standing just outside the office door.  

"Wait...was he on the internet while you were in here talking to me?"

"Yes.  I opened a few tabs for him with learning resources."

"Are you sure that's all you opened?"

"Yes, why?"

"Never mind.  Did he watch you when you were opening tabs and typing things into the search engine?"

"Yes.  Is that a problem?"

I looked at JinBot.  His eyes were so bright they hurt mine.  He had another huge smile on his face.  He was seemingly saying 'trust me' with that look of his.

"I guess not.  He doesn't know that much English so it's not like he could have searched for anything...inappropriate."

I walked toward the front door.  JK and JinBot followed.  

"Alright guys, see you tomorrow.  Goodnight."

"See you tomorrow!  We are going to have so much fun!" 

He looked to JinBot.  I looked at JinBot as well.  I expected to see the same big eyes and smile on his face I'd see only moments before.  Only that wasn't what I saw.  His mouth was slightly turned down into a slight frown.  He squinted his eyes.  I swore I saw tears well up, but that was insane.  He was a robot and electronics + water= disaster.  

"No.  Please."

My heart was instantly in my throat.  I wanted to want him there, but I knew I couldn't rest. 

"JinBot, you're having a sleepover with JK!"  I tried to sound enthusiastic, but probably failed.

"Jin."

"Sorry, Jin."

"Jin, it's going to be fun, I promise!  I can teach you SO many things!"

"No.  Stay.  Please."

Again with that look and the eyes.  Why was he having this kind of effect on me?  

"Jin, I need to clean things up around here and then relax.  I just don't think I'll be able to do that right now with you here.  You need to go with JK."

"I can help.  Please.  Stay."

I was exhausted and so was my resolve.  

"Fine.  You can stay and help me clean up, but once I'm ready to relax you will need to be somewhere else.  No offense, but I can't 100% trust you yet after the whole trying to kill me thing."

"Kill?"

"Never mind.  Just let me be alone when it's time to rest, ok?"

"OK!"  At least someone was happy with the arrangement.  

"Goodnight, JK.  Text me in the morning."

"I will.  Goodnight best friends!"

"GOODNIGHT!" 

JK closed the door and I locked it.  I turned to JinBot.  The giant smile was back.  I couldn't help but smile back.  You're definitely handsome, but I can't let me guard down.  

"Let's go clean."

"Ok!  I like to clean."

A man that likes to clean?  That's refreshing.