Sacrifice

It was light when I got to my car, but dark when I woke up.  Apparently waiting for JK plus terror equals exhaustion.  I quickly surveyed my surroundings.  I was indeed still in my car and I had remembered to grab my purse and keys on the way out.  Hopefully I'd spent enough time terror-napping that JK would be home.  I gathered my things and climbed the stairs. 

JK answered on the second knock. 

"Hi y/n!  How are you?"

"Not great.  I need your help."

"I am always happy to help a friend.  What's going on?"

"I called Raj back this morning and told him we'd decided to have him remote in and enable the learn function."  JK was practically bursting with excitement.  Before I could say anything else he was hopping up and down and giggling.  I hadn't seen many grown men hop and giggle. 

"YES!  I am so excited!  I can't wait to see him.  WHEN CAN I SEE HIM?" 

"As I was saying.  I called Raj and had him start the remote.  When I went back on into the living room he was still standing there and everything appeared to be normal.  I went about my business getting my lunch ready for work and I briefly saw his head twitch.  It only happened a couple of times, but no big deal so I went to work.  I got home and was putting my stuff away when I heard an odd noise.  I listened more intently for a minute and determined it was a very low growl.  A little off-putting since I don't have a dog and nothing was turned on in my apartment.  Anyway, I figured at that point it must be coming from JinBot so I turned to see what was going on.  I was greeted by a horrible sight."

I could see JK was on the edge of his metaphorical seat.  At least someone was enjoying this terrible ordeal. 

"WHAT DID YOU SEE?"

"I don't even know how to describe it."

"Try!"

"No!  If you want to see so badly you go in and look!"

"Alright, I will!"

"Fine.  Before you go in I need to know two things."

"Anything."

"One.  Could I stay here tonight?  Raj said the update should only take 24 hours so everything should be ok by tomorrow morning.  Two.  Will you go back over with me in the morning to check things out?  I had this awful nightmare where JinBot was chasing me and had this blood-lust in his eyes.  Also, when you're in my apartment dealing with that thing could you see if there's any way to fix it?  Like to make it...normal?"

"That's three things!"  Wow, nothing gets past you, JK.

"Yeah, sorry.  Seriously though.  Please?"

"Yes to all three.  I will go in and assess the situation.  Then I will come back and we can have a slumber party!  I'll go back with you in the morning too.  It sounds like fun!"  He is so adorable.  Odd, but adorable.  I hadn't been to a slumber party since junior high. 

"I wouldn't call dealing with that monstrosity fun."  The slumber party did genuinely sound fun.

"I'll be back in a jiffy!  Are you sure you don't want to come?"

I stood there for a good 45 seconds thinking it over.  On the one hand I was already thoroughly creeped out and just wanted to relax in JK's apartment.  On the other hand what if he needed my help?  What if it starts attacking him?  Lord help me. 

"Fine.  You go in first though.  I'll be like 5 steps behind you, in case I need to make a quick getaway."

"Deal.  Let's get it!"

I handed JK my keys and waited for him get to the door.  He inserted the key and turned.  The door swung open and I could hear the growl again, only louder than before.  JK walked into my apartment with his head held high.  No fear.  I waited until he'd taken a few more steps inside to start slinking behind him.  I made it about two steps inside and instinctively shut my eyes.  I was with JK so I was safe now, right?  He was going to deal with this thing and then I could open my eyes again. 

The door shut loudly behind me, startling me and interrupting my nice happy thoughts.  My eyes flew open.  I could feel another scream making its way up my trachea so I slammed my hand over my mouth, pressing unnecessarily hard.  My scream turned into a short squeak.  JK didn't seem to notice.

I stared at JinBot.  He looked just like he had earlier, only more menacing.  He hadn't moved from his spot, but that didn't matter.  His arms were extended above his head with his fingers splayed apart.  His head was tilted down and his eyes...his eyes were opened 3 or 4 times wider than before.  They had rolled so far back into his head that there was a crescent of metal and screws showing above his lower lids.  His lips were curled up in a snarl and his mouth frozen in a silent shriek.  He was ever so slightly bent at the waist.  He had shoes on, but he appeared to be on his tiptoes with his knees slightly bent as well.  The low-pitched growl that was nearly inaudible earlier was now bordering on loud.  He was either doing some sort of pagan sacrifice or he was about to attack.  Either way I hated it.  I probably couldn't unsee this terrifying version of JinBot, but I was sure going to try. 

I tried to force my eyes to close, but they just stayed open wide, gawking.  I reached up and physically forced my lids shut.  I then plugged my ears with my fingers, like a child, and started quietly humming to myself. If I can't see him, he's not really there.  If I can't see him he's not really there.  This was my current mantra.  I intended to wait there until JK gave the all clear or he decided to leave.  I stood there in fear, humming.  I had hummed through "God Bless America" three times before I heard JK's voice.  I couldn't understand him.  I stopped humming and unplugged my ears.  He spoke again.

"Do you have the phone number for the LoveDoll company still?  I'm going to call and see if this is normal and how to turn the volume down.  I tried to move him and looked for a volume knob, but no such luck."

I didn't open my eyes. 

"I think it's in my bedroom.  Feel free to go grab it.  I'm good right here."  Good was an overstatement.  I wasn't good.  I wouldn't be good for 11 more hours.