Board Games and Battle Plans

JK didn't respond immediately.  He looked at me briefly, then turned his gaze to the ground. 

"I'm sorry, y/n.  I thought I told you."  I would have been more irritated, possibly furious, if his naiveté wasn't so charming. 

"It's ok.  I'm sure you meant to tell me.  You probably just got so excited about having a slumber party that you forgot."  That seemed to be the mostly likely reason. 

I thought about what JK had said.  It was true, this particular JinBot was supposed to go to Korea, but due to all of the mix-ups, ended up in the US.  JK was also correct about Sweden, at least as far as I knew.  I tried to think back through the history classes I had taken and any books, tv shows, or historical documentaries I had watched.  I couldn't recall any instances where Sweden was feuding with the United States of America. 

I tried to focus my thoughts on the task at hand.  Another freshly baked cookie would definitely help.  I walked toward the plate piled high with cookies and grabbed two.  JK followed suit and grabbed a few cookies.  We ate them in silence. 

The cookies did help.

"Ok, so I was out for a few hours and JinBot is now at least 3/4 of the way done with the update or reconfiguration or whatever.  Did you happen to look at any of the stuff we got at the library while I was...napping?"

"Yes!  I have an idea.  Sort of.  We have several children's books, I think we should start there."

"I agree.  What is your idea?"

"Well I have heard that repetition helps with learning and retention.  We have two versions of Baby's First Words, remember?  The English one and the Korean one.  I looked through both books and they appear to be identical, based on the pictures.  I was thinking we can break it up into lessons maybe and we can each be in charge of a book.  For instance, the first lesson could be pages 1-5.  I could have the Korean book and you could have the English book.  We would hold them up side by side and kind of try to help him realize that they mean the same thing.  He should be able to read the Korean version and we can help him realize we are showing him the English version of that same thing.  Both versions have the words and then pronunciation underneath.  We can help him as much as possible.  Does that make sense?"

"That sounds like a solid plan.  I just hope it goes smoothly.  I don't know how many more surprises I can take in regards to JinBot." 

"Great!  I can't wait.  I think I'm going to be an excellent teacher!"

"I'm sure you will be, JK.  You're super positive.  I just hope that it goes better than I think it's going to."

I wanted to be as positive and excited as JK, but I just couldn't.  So far nothing had gone as planned.  I was beginning to wonder if JinBot was even worth it. 

JK's voice broke through the thoughts buzzing around in my head.

"What's wrong?"

I must have been scowling.  I tend to look really sullen or angry when I'm thinking. 

"You're making a mean face."

"I'm sorry, JK.  Nothing's wrong, I'm just thinking.  Why don't we eat and then we can do some other slumber party stuff before we turn in for the night."

"Good idea!  I'm pretty hungry.  I didn't eat anything, I waited for you."

"That was very thoughtful, thank you.  Will you go over with me in the morning to check on JinBot?"

"Of course!"  His face broke out in that ear to ear smile. 

"Awesome, thanks."

JK turned on the oven to a low temperature to heat up the food that had gotten cold.  While we waited for everything to re-heat we tried the Kim Chi.  It wasn't bad, just different than anything I'd had before. 

"So now that you've had Kim Chi are you feeling Korean?  Did it help you understand JinBot a little better?"  Maybe I shouldn't have been joking with JK like that, he might not understand the sarcasm. 

"Yes, I think so!"  He just continues to amaze me.  I don't know if I'll ever understand him. 

"Well that's great!  We need all the help we can get."  I laughed lightheartedly. 

The timer went off and JK removed our feast, setting it nicely on the counter buffet style.  We filled our plates and I followed JK into the living room.  I was surprised he didn't insist on eating at the table, but maybe these were special slumber party circumstances. 

We laughed and talked, with the TV on in the background.  We somehow managed to eat in between chuckles.  Neither one of us choked on our food, I was surprised.  Just as I was starting to mellow out and consider going to sleep JK leaped up from the sofa and ran into the other room.  He came back with an arm full of seemingly random items.  He set them down on the coffee table.  He'd grabbed two notebooks and two pens, a large zipped up CD case, a couple scuzzy-looking t-shirts, the board game Dream Phone, nail polish, and two boxes of hair dye.  I knew he was excited for our slumber party, but I had no idea how much.  I was impressed.  Looking at the items strewn across the coffee table took me back.  I hadn't seen Dream Phone in...20 years?  Maybe more.  That took me back.  Impressed was an understatement.  I didn't have the right word for my feelings, but I was definitely proud. 

"I'm ready for our super fun slumber party!"

Suddenly I wasn't as tired as I'd originally thought.  This was actually going to be a blast. 

"I am too!  You're the best, JK." 

For the first time I saw the tiniest bit of color invade his cheeks.  JK was smiling so big his eyes were tiny lines.  He was right, it was going to be a super fun slumber party.