Anticipation

I could feel my cheeks burning.  Of course it had that 'appendage.'  What would you be the point of getting a Love Doll that I couldn't Love?  My brain was mush from the sleepless night and I think I was coming down form a sugar high.  I had to think of something to tell Jungkook.  He had those curious eyes that told me he would keep asking if he didn't get answer right away. 

"I'm not sure.  They said it's made to look as real as possible, so probably?"

"I see.  So you bought this Love Doll so that you could..."

"Look, JK!"  I pointed out the window in my pathetic attempt to distract him. 

"I don't see anything."

"Uh, over there!"  Thankfully it was the first day of the harvest festival.  That meant they launched hot air balloons early in the morning and one just happened to be visible from JK's window. 

"Wow!  It's beautiful!" 

"Yeah, I bet you can see more of them if you go outside and look.  I should probably be calling the manager to see about getting into my apartment anyway.  I need to see if I can get a few hours of sleep before work."

"Ok.  Thank you for having tea with me and being my friend!  I hope we can do it again sometime soon."

"We will, but it will be under better circumstances."

"How about we do it at your place next time, with your new friend?"

"I don't know about that, JK.  I guess we'll see."

I opened the front door and walked about followed by Jungkook, who I assume was headed to search for more hot air balloons.  Some of our other neighbors were heading down the stairs and toward their cars.  I had just reached the middle of the staircase on my way down when I heard JK yell. 

"Bye y/n!  Have fun with your Love Doll!"

Out of the corner of my eye I could see several people snickering.  I heard Old Lady Holmes gasp as I hurried past her.  Luckily she didn't pass out and fall down the stairs.  I was speed-walking now to get away.  This was the exact reason I wanted to deal with this myself.  I knew JK meant well, but damn.  What I wouldn't give to have the power of invisibility right now. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The apartment manager showed up two hours later.  Of course he'd be late the day I needed him most.  I explained that I had locked myself out of my apartment and I needed to get back in to get ready for work.  By this point in time there's no way I was going to be able to nap.  I didn't have enough time.  Looks like I'd have to chug an energy drink and get ready for work.  I would have JK help me get my crate into my living room and I'd deal with it after I got home. 

After about 10 minutes of trying different keys, the manager finally found the one to unlock my door.  He let me in and I politely thanked him.  I saw his eyes dart back and forth.  He opened his mouth as if to comment on the disarray of my apartment, but I smiled and shut the door before he had the chance.  Looking around I could see why someone could come to the conclusion of a burglary.  I scooted the junk pile to the edge of the counter and slid it into a plastic bag.  That was another thing I'd have to deal with after work. 

I found my keys sitting by my purse.  Luckily the police didn't seem to rifle through that while they were in my place.  I grabbed the energy drink I keep in my fridge just for this sort of occasion and headed toward my bedroom.  I searched through my closet and found some appropriate work attire, laid it out on the bed, and jumped in the shower.  The hot water felt good against my skin.  I stood under the shower head soaking in the feeling for longer than necessary, but it felt very refreshing after the interesting night I'd had.  Maybe I was trying to wash away the embarrassment. 

Honestly I'd be over it in no time.  I finally had my Love Doll and that's all I needed.  My weariness was soon replaced with excitement.  I would finally get to open that crate when I got home and see what the Love Doll was really like.  The thought of opening the crate and seeing my perfect man was almost too much!  Maybe I should call in sick to work?

No.  I am a responsible adult and I will take care of business. 

I finished getting ready for work, grabbed a frozen meal for lunch, and walked out the door.  I caught myself whistling as I walked down the stairs.  I couldn't help but laugh at myself.  I can't remember the last time I was this excited about something.  All I had to do was make it through the rest of my workday.  Then Love Doll here I come!