Neighbors

I stood silently at my door, going over every possible option. Breaking into my own apartment in the middle of the night would be loud and cause JK to calls the cops again, undoubtedly. I could call a locksmith, but again it's late and would cost an arm and a leg. I could phone the complex manager, but I'm pretty sure that number isn't saved into my contacts. I patted my pants pockets, only to realize my phone was in my apartment, along with my keys.

Great.

I really didn't want to involve Jungkook, but at this point , what other choice did I have? No keys, no phone, and it's an ungodly hour. I know he's awake.

Screw it, I'm going to involve Jungkook.

I walked over to his door. I held my breath and knocked very quietly. Light suddenly illuminated the peephole. I tried to look through to see if JK was coming to the door. I couldn't see anything. Suddenly the light went out. I stood there for what seemed like an eternity. I knocked again, slightly louder this time.

"Leave now, or I'm calling the cops!" I heard almost instantly.

"Jungkook, wait, it's me, y/n! Please, open the door."

The door flew open and before I knew it, I was in Jungkook's arms. It was slightly awkward considering we were neighbors and had merely exchanged pleasantries. Yes, I knew his name and a few other minor details, but it wasn't like we'd hung out or anything.

I returned the hug, though it was halfhearted. I slowly squirmed out of his arms and took a step back.

"Hi Jungkook. Thanks for let me in. I..."

"Thank God, you're ok! When I saw your door open and heard those terrible noises I was sure someone had broken in and possibly hurt you. I was so worried about you! I called the police and..."

"I know, I saw. "

"What how did you..."

"Listen, I don't have a lot of time. Please just listen for a minute, ok?"

"Ok, but at least tell me you're alright."

"Really, I'm fine. Now listen. I left my door open. I am the one that dumped the drawer on the counter..."

"But why? Why would you..."

"Jungkook. Stop interrupting. All of your questions will be answered during my explanation. Trust me. So anyway, I will try explaining this to you a different way. Something that I ordered arrived today. It is in a rather large crate that I can't seem to carry upstairs without help. I didn't want trouble anyone so I tried to figure out a way to get it upstairs by myself. I thought if I could get it onto the hand truck I could haul it upstairs and be done with it. I left the door unlocked so I wouldn't have to stop and lose the momentum digging for keys. When I couldn't get the box to budge I decided to make a pulley system to pull it over to the hand truck. The closest thing I could find was the drawer hardware, so I took the drawer out and dumped its contents onto my counter. I was working on putting that all together when the cops showed up. Does that make sense now?"

"But why are you trying to move it in the middle of the night? And why didn't you ask me to help you? I'm really strong! How do you know how to make a pulley system? Where is the crate? What's in the crate? How did you see the cops? Where were you?"