Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Crap.

"Fine. I promise, but can we make a pot of coffee or something first?"

"I have tea. Are you a tea fan?"

"Does it have caffeine?"

"Yes."

"Then I'm a tea fan."

Jungkook opened his front door and ushered me inside. I took a quick look around outside to make sure no one saw us, then I entered the threshold. His apartment was surpringly clean and well decorated for a single guy. I guess I was just assuming he was single, but I didn't ever recall seeing anyone come over.

JK placed the crate down and made a beeline for the kitchen. I followed suit. He filled a teapot with water, set it down on the burner, and turned the knob to high. He pulled out a chair from his kitchen table and motioned for me to sit. After I seated myself he pulled out his own chair and sat across from me.

"Thanks for letting me stay here. It's been a really long day."

"No problem. I've always wanted to befriend you, but I didn't know how to bring it up to you."

Befriend? Who talks like that? Maybe it's an...Asian thing?

"Well I guess we're getting the chance now. Hahaha." Such an awkward, fake laugh. I hope he didn't notice.

"I'm so happy!" He was pretty adorable when he smiled. His huge smile swallowed his eyes, turning them into two almost indiscernible lines.

"So where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?"

His face went blank for a moment. Not long, maybe a half a second. His smile quickly returned.

"Oh, uh. I'm from Korea. Busan to be exact."

"Oh wow!" So he was Korean. "How did you learn to speak English so well?"

"I am a really quick learner. When I came to Ea...America I just kind of observed people. I think being completely immersed in it helped."

Ea...America? He just observed people? Maybe it's a Korean thing? He seemed a little odd, but maybe it's just a difference of cultures. After all, he did help me haul my huge crate upstairs and he's letting me hang at his place until working hours. Jungkook deserves a chance, no judgement.

The teapot was just about to whistle when JK leapt from his chair and grabbed it off the stove. He then retrieved a beautiful tea set from his cupboard. I'm no expert, but it appeared old and it appeared to be china. Dang, he's fancy! He placed two teabags in the new teapot and commenced to pour the hot water in. He replaced the lid, and brought it over to table. Next he brought over two cups and two saucers. He completed our tea party by bringing over the sugar dish and small plate containing delicate looking cookies. Then he finally sat back down.

"Holy cow, Jungkook! You didn't have to do all of this."

"No, I insist! I don't have company very often. It's a special occasion." There was that smile again.

I took a small cookie, bowed my head in a silent thank you, and took a bite.

Flavor explosion.

I shoved the rest of the cookie into my mouth, then chased it with another one.

"Where did you get these?" I said between mouthfuls.

"I made them."

"You MADE them?" You've got to be shitting me.

"Yes."

"No way. I don't believe you. Where did you really get them?"

"I made them. I watched a lot of baking shows when I got...here. It helped with English too!"

"Have you made other stuff you've seen on TV?"

"Yes, of course. I don't sleep much, so I bake."

"You continue to surprise me, JK." I looked over at him. I couldn't quite read his expression. Had I angered him by not using his given name?

"I'm sorry. I hope it's ok that I called you JK. If you don't like that nickname I can use your full name."

This time when I looked at him I swear I saw a glimmer in the corner of his eye.

"NO! That's perfectly fine. I've never had a nickname before. I've never had anyone want to give me a nickname before."

My heart broke. Maybe JK had lead a harder life than I'd realized. Most people had a few nicknames growing up. It seemed pretty normal to me, but maybe he never really had a normal childhood. Maybe he didn't have ANY friends.

I could tell it was late. I was starting to over-analyze. Time to change the subject and get back to happier topics. We still had a few hours to kill.