Come Be My Teacher

We stayed awake until the sun rose.  It was too late for sleep now.  I motioned to JK, who was listening to a Walkman, that I was going to go change and get ready for the day.  Where did he get a Walkman?  Or a tape for that matter.  I never even saw him leave the living room.

I didn't change immediately.  I sat down on the bed to reflect on the last few days. 

I'd received a LoveDoll meant for Korea and I'd named it Jin.  JinBot then tried to communicate with me IN Korean, but I had no idea what he was trying to say.  I'd called tech support and they'd suggested a few things, but the most logical had been to send an update wirelessly.  I'd gotten him all into position for said update, but JinBot had freaked me out...several times.  He'd even tried to kill me!  Or at least that's what it felt like when that red dot was on my forehead.  JK and I had decided we'd teach him English together and gone to the library to get some materials.  We'd eaten Kim Chi, played Dream Phone and M.A.S.H (the list game you write out on paper, not the Mobile Army Surgical Hospital), and we'd stayed up all night like a couple of pre-teen girls on a three-day weekend.  Now I was about to get ready to go back to my own apartment and attempt to teach JinBot English.  What could I even say about my life at the moment?  It didn't make any sense.  At least it would make a great story...if I ever felt brave enough to tell anyone I bought a LoveDoll.  The one upside so far is JK.  We've grown pretty close in the last few days and I couldn't be happier that's my neighbor AND friend. 

I finished getting ready and went out to the living room to look for JK.  He must have decided to go change as well.  I sat down on his sofa and looked over the M.A.S.H papers.  I laughed when I saw that JK was going to be a doctor, married to Salma Hayek with 15 kids, and living in a shack.  I was looking through the remnants of the rest of our super fun slumber party when JK reappeared.  He had a large tote that seemed full, but I'd learned not to ask questions. 

"It's a little early, but do you think JinBot is done updating?"

"There's only one way to find out!" 

I wasn't necessarily tired, but I couldn't be chipper.  It was still morning and it was still early.  Leave it to JK to be positive when the sun's barely up. 

"I'm not going over until I know he's not in Kill mode."

"Would you like me to go over and check?"

"Yes, please."  I handed him my keys and gave him my sweetest smile. 

"I'll be back in a Jiff!"  Ever the optimist. 

I sat back down and closed my eyes for a few minutes.  I must have dozed off because I was startled awake by a poke.  I quickly opened my eyes to find JK mere inches from my face.  I could see teeth.  Lots and lots of teeth.  I slid myself over to create a larger buffer of space before he spoke. 

"He's ready!" 

"Thanks for checking.  Let me grab my stuff and we'll head over."

I gathered the things JK had brought over from my place previously and grabbed the English version of Baby's First Words.  I assumed JK had picked up the Korean version.  JK handed me back the keys to my apartment.  We walked over to my door and paused.  JK said the coast was clear, no more crazy KillBot, but I had to prepare myself nonetheless. 

I walked in and surveyed the room.  I couldn't see anything except the kitchen from the entry way.  It looked clear.  I walked a few more feet so that I could just barely see around the corner into the living room.  I saw JinBot, but he didn't appear to be moving.  Maybe he had to reboot after the update? 

I sat my stuff down on the counter and wandered into the living room.  JK was already waiting for me.  He was sitting at some sort of desk.  On his desk he had a placard that read 'Teacher JK' and a red delicious apple.  I snickered.  I don't know how he brought a desk into my place, but I loved everything about the scene. 

"Hello!"

I froze.  I was looking at JK, but he wasn't speaking.  The voice sounded slightly deeper. 

JinBot.

I turned to see JinBot waving and smiling at me.  Much the same as he'd done before the update, but this time he'd spoken to me in English.  It would have been nice if Raj had mentioned that he would have a small English vocabulary after the update instead of no vocabulary.  Maybe the books we brought are too rudimentary for him. 

I noticed a huge change, in both JinBot and myself.  I was definitely more optimistic and excited and he seemed friendlier and somehow more...attractive.  Wait, where the hell did that come from?  He was trying to kill me yesterday and now I find him super attractive?  SUPER?  I never said super.  Ok, y/n, you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.  You are supposed to be teaching him English.  Rein those hormones in.  Seriously.  JinBot smiled at you and said hello and you're melting already?  Girl, calm down. 

"Excuse me.  I'll be right back."

Yes, escape to the bedroom and collect yourself!  I walked into my bathroom and turned on the cold water.  I splashed my face several times with the ice cold water.  Breathe.  Ok, that's better.  I wiped the now tepid liquid from my face, checked myself in the mirror, and returned to the living room. 

"Hello!" 

JinBot greeted me again.  Well he's nothing if not consistent. 

"Are you alright, y/n?"

"Yes.  I was just feeling a little sleepy so I splashed myself with some cold water.  I'm feeling better now, thanks."

"Great!"

"Did Raj happen to mention how large JinBot's English vocabulary is now?  I didn't realize he'd know anything once he was updated and switched to learn mode.  I'm worried that these books will be too easy, too elementary for him."

"JinBot doesn't have much of a vocabulary yet.  He can say hello."

"Hello!" 

"Hi, JinBot!"  JK waved to the LoveDoll and smiled.

"When I taught him to say hello, as a greeting when someone enters the room, when I came over to check on his status this morning.  I thought it would be really nice if he greeted you when you came in.  I also thought it might make you relax and start to forget about everything that happened with him previously."

"That was very sweet of you, thank you, JK."

"You're welcome!  I am a great teacher so far!"

"I agree.  I'm glad you're helping me with this.  I like the teacher set-up you have over there.  Where did that desk come from?"

"It's foldable.  I had it stored in my closet, just in case."

"I see.  Why the apple?"

"All of the teachers I've seen on TV have an apple on their desk!"

JK must have been on one of the classic movie channels or something.  I couldn't bring myself to tell him that they probably don't do that in real life, or at least not in this day and age.  He's too innocent, I can't ruin everything for him. 

"I'm kind of hungry.  We didn't eat breakfast before came over.  Why don't we start with the food section?  We'll bring JinBot into the kitchen with us and while I'm making breakfast you can start by showing him food/ingredients/items in the kitchen.  What do you think?"

JK grabbed his copy of Baby's First Words, leaped up from his desk, and took JinBot's hand, leading him into the kitchen. 

I wasn't quite ready for JinBot to be that close just yet, but I'd have to pretend to be comfortable.  I should have known once I said that to JK they'd both be in the kitchen with me within 5 seconds.  I had to smile at JK's enthusiasm. 

"I guess that's a yes."