Great Expectations

I somehow managed to sleep even though that thing was out in the living room. I had JK turn it off before he went back to his apartment, but it's still unnerving having it out in the living room.

The sun was just starting to peep in through the mini-blinds in my room when I groggily checked my phone. I didn't have to be at work for a several hours, but I wanted to get this update started early. I decided that after a shower and a small breakfast I would turn the LoveDoll back on and then call Raj to get the process started.

My shower wasn't nearly long enough. The warm water falling over my head was calming. I had washed and conditioned my hair already. I was stalling. I had had odd dreams about the LoveDoll. Not bad, but definitely odd. I suppose I should get this show on the road.

A few scrambled eggs and a small slice of toast should be enough to get me through until lunch. I finished eating and walked over to the stranger in the corner. I was being overly cautious I'm sure, but I made a 6 foot radius of space around him. I removed the blanket once again and proceeded to turn him back on. I practically jumped back as he quickly came back to life. Those dark almond-shaped eyes and that big smile were both shining just as bright as ever. I was still very skeptical of him.

"Annyeonghaseyo!"

I scowled and waved.

JinBot waved back.

Nope. I'm going to make this call from my bedroom.

I speed walked to the bedroom and proceeded to shut and lock the door. A vision of the lumbering android chasing after me and beating down my door flashed into my head. I unlocked the door and very slightly opened it. Thankfully he wasn't standing outside my door. He was still over in his corner. He saw me through the crack in the door and waved again. Chills went through me. Ok y/n. You need to calm down. YOU ORDERED THIS THING! He is a LoveDoll, not a KillDoll. He is here to bring you joy and companionship, not misery and anxiety. Once you call Raj and get everything sorted out you won't find it creepy and you won't be freaked out. You will not regret this purchase. You did this for yourself and I'll be damned if a little hiccup like this sours your fun!

That was a pretty good pep talk, if I do say so myself. OK. Time to call Raj.

I pulled the piece of paper out of my pocket and dialed. The main menu started to play in my ear and I punched in #669. The phone rang 4 times. Raj picked up after two rings last time. Please answer. Please answer.

"LoveStyle, Raj speaking. How may I assist you today?"

OH THANK GOD.

"Hi Raj! This is y/n. I spoke with you yesterday about my friend's LoveDoll. The one that only speaks Korean?"

"Ah yes! Good to hear from you again, y/n! Which option did your friend find most satisfactory?"

"She decided to do the remote thing. The one where you turn on the learn function."

"Great! We can go ahead and get that started if you're ready."

"Yes, we should be."

"Wonderful. Did you clear a 4 foot radius around JinBot?"

"Yes."

"Fantastic. Is he turned on and ready to go?"

"As far I can tell, yes. I removed the blanket a few minutes ago."

"Superb! Now that I know there is a clear area around him and he is turned on I can begin the remote. Once again, please be aware that this will take approximately 24 hours. You will need to leave him turned on and leave that clear area around him."

"Ok. I think we're ready then. Go ahead and start the remote."

"Terrific! I will go ahead and get that started. I have all of the information I need from you. You can go ahead and hang up at this point, ma'am. Thank you for calling LoveStyle. What's your LoveStyle?"

I turned my phone screen off and took a few deep breaths. I was ready to face JinBot.

I unlocked and opened the door. I walked out to the living room and JinBot smiled. He looked exactly the same. Nothing appeared to be happening. Well at least it should be an easy somewhat peaceful remote update.

I proceeded to the kitchen to get my lunch ready to take work. I was in the midst of chopping up and apple when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I sat the knife down and turned toward JinBot. I saw his head jerk several times. I continued to watch him for a few more minutes. His head jerked a few more times, but then not in any consistent fashion. That was kind of odd, but at least if he's going to tweak it was going to be quiet. I could deal with that. I finished putting my lunch together, grabbed my jacket and purse, took one last look at JinBot, and left my apartment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Work went by surprisingly slowly. I guess that's what happens when I go in early. Note to self: don't go in to work early unless it's absolutely necessary.

I pulled into my assigned parking spot in my apartment complex. I gathered my things and made the short trek up to my apartment. I effortlessly found my keys and inserted them into the deadbolt.

I walked in and set my things down on the counter. Once I was done rustling around with my lunch bag I heard it. An almost inaudible noise. My back was to JinBot. I stood there, frozen to the floor. I listened carefully to try to pinpoint the noise and it's location. It sounded like a...growl. A very low growl. Well that's disturbing.

I slowly turned. I screamed.

The next thing I knew I was grabbing my stuff and sprinting out the door. I ran to JK's door and pounded for a solid minute. No answer. Great.

I power-walked to my car, unlocked the door, and climbed inside. What the fuck is happening? Where is JK?! JK COME HOME! I NEED YOU!