Cookies and Beer

Thankfully work flew by.  I'm pretty sure I was spacing out most of the day.  I shut my computer down, grabbed my jacket, and practically flew out the door. 

My commute had never seemed so short.  I decided to stop by the store on my way home.  Tonight was going to be a celebration of sorts and I deserved a drink!  I'm not your typical wine girl.  I grabbed a six-pack of a new beer I'd been wanting to try.  It was a fall inspired amber ale from a local brewery (I always support local businesses when I can!).  There was a picture of a cute little rodent with chubby cheeks on the bottle, so that helped make my decision.  I also decided I could go for some cookies.  I'd been trying to separate myself from junk food, but it was a celebration, after all.  I grabbed a bag and took my items to the self checkout.  I scanned the beer and was getting ready to pull out my ID for the age verification when the screen disappear.  My head swiveled to the left. 

"It's ok.  I can see that you're old enough." 

"Thanks."  I said it very politely, but inside I was seething.  Did I really look that old?  I'm in my early 30s for God's sake, I should still be getting carded!  Plus I'm pretty sure the checker was younger than me. 

I gathered my bags and sulked out the door.  I opened the passenger side door and deposited my goods onto the floor.  I inserted the key into the ignition and turned.  My car jolted to life.  You know what?  No, I'm not going to dwell on that.  I have a man waiting for me at home and we're celebrating!  I laughed to myself.  I laughed so hard that I started to snort.  It felt good. 

I pulled into the covered parking spot assigned to me and grabbed my stuff.  I locked the car and walked to my apartment with a smile on my face.  Nothing was going to get me down. 

As I approached my door and unlocked it I heard the sound of a door opening behind me.  It was probably JK.  He was my friend now, and sweet if not naive, but I was on a mission tonight.  No time for chit chat.  I pulled the door open with my right foot and slid inside.  I let the door close behind me.  I set my bags on the counter then walked to the door to lock it and hang up my jacket. 

I slid the cookies out of the bag and ceremoniously opened the package.  I took a bite.  Mmm...perfect.  I took a bottle out and put the rest of the pack in the fridge.  I searched in my plastic bag of junk for a bottle opener.  No such luck.  I continued to search in every drawer in the kitchen, checked in my purse, checked my jacket pocket, and even wandered into the bathroom to look around, but I couldn't find one.  Damn.  I was going to have to see if JK had one I could borrow.  I really didn't want any distractions tonight, but there was no way around it. 

I put my bottle back in the fridge and grabbed my keys.  I didn't want a repeat of last night.  I walked the 10 steps to JK's front door and knocked.  Jungkook opened the door before I'd even put my had back down. 

"Hi!  Wow, I didn't know we were hanging out this soon!  I saw you go into our apartment, but you seemed like you were in a hurry and you didn't say hi so I thought I would have to wait to hang out with you again.  Come in, please."

"Hey, sorry to bother your JK, but..."

"You're never a bother!  You are my friend, remember?"

"Yes, I remember.  Listen, JK.  As much as I'd love to hang out tonight, I really should get back to my apartment.  I brought some work home so I'll be busy with that all night."

"Really?  I saw you bring home some alcohol and cookies.  Do you use them to help you work?" 

"How did you know what was in my bag?"  He has his quirks, but this was getting a little creepy. 

"There was a rip in the side of the plastic.  Sorry, I just seem to be able to recall details after seeing something for a split second.  I didn't mean to upset you."

"Oh!  Ok.  No, I'm no upset. Yes, the beer will help me...relax a little so I can do my best work.  The cookies are just because I like them.  Anyway, I came over to see if you had a bottle opener I could borrow.  I'll bring it back tomorrow."

"I do have a bottle opener, but you don't have to bring it back tomorrow.  Why don't you keep it until we hang out again?  That way I know for sure we will hang out again because you have to bring it back."  He gave me a huge goofy smile.  He was odd, but I'll be damned if I didn't like the guy. 

"Sounds good, JK.  Have a great night and we'll hang out soon, I promise!" 

I walked to the door with the bottle opener in hand.  It was going to be a great night indeed.