Library Adventures

Apparently I hadn't been to the library in ages.  They had books of course, but I had no idea how many different kinds of things were available.  JK placed his items in the proper return bins and headed toward a bank of computers off to the right of a circular desk.  I followed close behind, gawking at the different items displayed around me.  He plopped down and patted the seat next to him.  I sat down and looked at the computer screen.  It was on some sort of lock screen.  I looked over at JK's screen.  He seemed to be searching in the online catalog for Korean books.  I watched as his fingers hovered over the keys. 

"I'm going to keep looking through the catalog for a few different things.  Why don't you try using some of the databases and see if you can find anything that could help us?"

"The computer is locked.  It says 'card number' and 'PIN'."

"Ok.  All you have to do is enter the barcode numbers from your library card and then the 4 digit PIN you set.  Once you do that you'll just open a browser page and go to the library's website.  Somewhere toward the top there should be a spot that says 'resources', you'll just click that and it'll take you to the available databases.  I'm going to write down the call numbers and I'll go find these books.  I'll be back in a few minutes!"

JK quickly closed the window he was working in and jumped up.  He headed toward the stacks and left me to search on the computer.  OK.  You use online resources all of the time at work, this shouldn't be hard. 

I riffled around in my purse looking for my wallet.  Note to self: clean your purse.  WAY too much junk.  This shouldn't be that hard. 

After mentally high-fiving myself for finding my wallet I remembered I didn't have a library card.  I turned to look at the rows of books, scanning for any sign of JK.  I didn't want to leave all of my stuff sitting at the computer unattended.  I caught a glimpse of JK's bright running shoes. 

"JK!  I DON'T HAVE A LIBRARY CARD.  CAN YOU COME BACK SO I CAN USE YOURS?"

"SHH!"

I turned toward the circle desk to find several people staring at me with their index fingers raised to their lips. 

"Sorry."

My library etiquette was atrocious.  Note to self again: come back to the library at a later date and get a library card.  Also learn library etiquette and apologize to the librarians. 

JK must have heard me because he bounded his way toward me, arm outstretched, proudly clutching his library card.  He handed it to me with a smile then bounded back into the stacks. 

I entered JK's information into the computer.  I opened a browser and followed his instructions.  I found a few helpful databases and searched them pretty thoroughly.  I took some paper out of my purse and started writing down all of the information that I could.  I'd meet back up with JK and see what he'd found.

I logged off, pushed the chair back in, and turned to go look for JK.  I made it about two steps when he popped up in front of me.

"Hi!  What do you think?  Did you find anything useful?"

"I did.  I'm really amazed by the stuff here.  Apparently I haven't been in a library in a really long time.  Honestly, I thought they only had books.  I did find quite a few resources and wrote down the tips I thought would be the most helpful.  What did you find?" 

"I know!  Libraries are so cool!  I found Korean for Dummies, Learn Korean in 3 Easy Steps, Bein' Korean, and Baby's First Words; the English version and the Korean version."

I nonchalantly scanned the books in his arms.  1..2..3..4..5? 

"What's that one?"  I pointed to a large book in a shiny blue jacket. 

"Oh!  This one's an astronomy book.  It has some beautiful pictures taken with a really high-tech telescope and satellite." 

"Cool.  I didn't know you were interested in space and stuff."

"Very.  I find it very comforting."  Comforting?  Yeah, no.  Empty and weird

"Really?  When I think about the universe, planets, stars, meteors, aliens, all of that stuff, I feel really small.  Those things are so distant and there's just so much open space out there, you know?  I'm not a big sci-fi or space fan. " 

"Maybe I can show you some of the best pictures while we're studying."

"Sure, JK.  Are we ready?"

"Yes.  I can't wait to get back look at the stuff we got!"