Special Delivery

Just as I pulled into the parking spot in front of my apartment I caught a glimpse of a large brown delivery van pulling up.  I was parked and out my car in record time.   The van parked behind me and a portly man in a brown uniform jumped out and headed toward the back of the truck.  I watched him raise up the back door and reach for a very large package.  He struggled with it for a good minute or so before he climbed inside.  I wanted to look casual and not let him know that I was watching and waiting, so I snuck up the stairs to watch from my neighbor's stoop.  I saw him grab a hand truck and prop the crate onto its end and slide underneath.  Careful!  My precious cargo is inside!

He slowly pushed the hand truck forward and lowered the crate and hand truck down onto the ground.  Now was my chance.  I briskly walked down the stairs and accidentally ran into the man. 

"I'm so sorry!  I didn't see you there!"  Just a small lie.

"It's ok, Ma'am.  I'm looking for apartment #24.  I have a package here for y/n and I need a signature."

Shit.  I didn't realize I would have to sign.  Stupid, stupid.  This thing is huge and cost a small fortune so of course they'd require a signature. 

"I believe she's still at work, but I'm her neighbor.  I could sign for her." Another lie, only a tiny bit bigger this time.

"Well I'm not really supposed to let anyone else sign it but..."

I gave him my biggest smile and fluttered my lashes.  Please work, please work.

"Ok, this is my last delivery and I've got a football game to catch, so I'll let it slide this time.  Sign here by the X."

My attempt to use my feminine wiles to coerce him may have failed, but he still let me sign for the package.  That's a win in my book.

"Do you need help lugging this thing upstairs?"

I appreciated the kindness, but the sooner I could end this awkward interaction the better. 

"That's ok, my boyfriend will be home any minute and he can help me take it upstairs.  I wouldn't want you to miss the game!   Go state!"  The biggest lie of all.  If only he knew what was in the crate...