Blue Lights

I grabbed the box, dug my heels in, and started pulling.  The crate moved about an inch.  I tried the same thing again, but this time it only moved about 1/4 of an inch.  The sun was still beating down, I was going to have to get this thing moved into the bushes, and quickly.  Luckily the neighbors weren't home yet, the benefits of working odd hours, but I didn't want to be out here until they arrived. 

I decided maybe pushing would be a better idea.  I moved to the opposite side of the crate.  I crouched down into what I imagine was a football stance (thanks for the idea delivery guy!) and started to drive forward with my entire body.  The crate started to slide, albeit very slowly.  I was making continual progress, yes!  I pushed even harder and the crate started to push its way into the brush and bushes by the garbage cans.  Once more hard shove and it should be completely hidden. 

I readied myself once again and shoved with everything I had.  Success!  The crate slid all the way into the bushes.  I walked back about 8 yards to see if I could tell there was something stashed in there.  Nope, not from that angle.  I moved around in several different directions, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. 

Now all I had to do was wait for nightfall. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I peeked out my window around 1am.  I live in a relatively quiet apartment complex, so I wasn't expecting to see much movement.  I surveyed back and forth for a minute or two and was satisfied.  I walked to my coat closet and opened it.  I threw on a light sweatshirt and wheeled out the hand truck.  It wasn't something I would normally have kept in my coat closet, but these were desperate times. 

I carefully opened the front door and wheeled it outside.  I left the door slightly ajar to make things a little easier on me.  I started down the stairs, lifting the hand truck very carefully down each step.  After a very long couple of minutes I finally made it to the bottom.  I left the hand truck at the base of the stairs and walked around to the bushes. 

I started to push and pull on the crate to try and move it out from its cover.  I rustled around in the bushes for a few minutes, unsuccessfully moving the crate.  I need to rig up some sort of pulley system...

I climbed out of the bushes and walked back up the stairs and into my apartment.  After searching for a little while I finally found some rope and something that looked like a pulley.  I had ripped it out of one the drawers in the kitchen.  I'll have to remember to replace that. 

I climbed back down the stairs and back into the bushes.  I got to work on making my pulley system.  I'm such a genius!  I was so focused on my work that I didn't notice the flashing red and blue lights until they were almost to my building.  OH SHIT

I threw myself onto the ground and flattened myself.  I prayed that they couldn't see me.  I didn't move, didn't breathe. 

I heard an unfamiliar voice say "Are you the reporting party?"

"Yes, sir.  I heard some rustling in the bushes and a few other strange noises.  I came outside to check it out and noticed my neighbors door was open.  I knocked, but she didn't answer.  As I was knocking the door kind of opened a little and I could see into the kitchen.  I noticed one of her kitchen drawers had been pulled out and dumped on the counter, like someone was searching for valuables or robbing the place or something!  Y/n is pretty neat, so I know she wouldn't leave something like that out.  I also know that she lives alone, so I don't think she'd just leave her door open at this late.  I panicked and ran back to my apartment and called you guys." 

Damn it, Jungkook!  You've got to be shitting me. 

"It's a good thing you called.  Now if you'll just write your statement on this paper for us, we'll go in and have a look around."

What if they decide to check in the bushes where JK heard the noises?  I have to get out of here.  I started to very slowly Army crawl toward the apartment clubhouse.  If I could make it there I could enter the code and hide inside until this whole thing blows over.

6971.  The door made an unlocking sound and I pushed it open.  All of the lights were off, thankfully, so I sat in a chair in the foyer.  I could see the police officers coming back down the stairs.  They stopped at the bottom to talk with Jungkook again.  He appeared to nod a few times.  The officers talked to him for a few more minutes, used their radios, and then got back into their cars.  They sat in their cars for another few minutes and finally started to pull away. 

Good.  Now I can finish the task at hand and finally be done. 

It didn't take me long to walk the few hundred feet from the clubhouse to my building.  I was tired, but I had to get that crate upstairs before someone found it, or worse, the trash-man picks its up.  I climbed the stairs to my apartment yet again.  I reached my door, and felt in my pockets for my keys. 

Fuck.

I left the door ajar so I didn't have to fiddle with getting keys out of my pocket.  The police must have locked the door and shut it behind them.  Why does everyone have to be so damn helpful?