58

𝐴 𝐶𝑟𝑢𝑒𝑙 𝑇ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑘𝑠𝑔𝑖𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔

What's your favorite thanksgiving food?

Ugh I can't pick I love green bean casserole and the stuffing😤

"Lord, on behalf of my beautiful family and I, we would like to thank you for putting this delicious food on the table. Thank you for giving us this opportunity in Coal Creek and watching over us, I hope that you are looking after my daughters mother and our loved ones back in Tennessee Amen." Preston said as he held the hands of Lilly and Mildred. "Amen." The two girls repeated shortly after and slowly drew their hands away, opening their eyes to be met with a table full of food. Lilly didn't eat all day just so she could eat good right now. Well technically it was the middle of the day, but still. Their plates were already prepared in front of them, without hesitation she went straight to grab her fork. She really didn't know where to start, the green bean casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey?

To be quite honest she didn't really like turkey, it was good but it looked like it should be tasting way better than it did. It was mediocre which kinda disappointed Lilly when she was a kid, still she always ate it. The young girl decided to start with the stuffing, it was her favorite. Taking a bite she felt the warm food make contact with her tastebuds, she had been waiting for this moment for around a whole month. Yes a month, thanksgiving was her second favorite holiday just because of the food. Christmas was her favorite though. Although all the holidays seemed to suck ever since her mom passed, but she enjoyed the feeling of the holidays and the cold air.

"I heard Arvin Russell put those boys in the hospital..." Preston said trying to fill the silent room. He didn't quite understand that talking down about his daughters boyfriend wasn't exactly the best topic over thanksgiving dinner. Putting a piece of turkey in her mouth she shook her head from side to side. "Well you must've heard wrong daddy. He had nothing to do with them." Lilly defended with a polite smile. It came as a shock to both her and Mildred that he hadn't even noticed the bruises, they were obviously going away but before he didn't notice it at all. He hadn't been home much and was probably worrying about his own things, whatever that might be.

"He's a very sweet boy Preston." Mildred joined in with a smile plastered on his face. The man just stayed silent, he knew Arvin was a good kid, but not good enough to take care of his young daughter. "I was just saying it that I've been hearing that around town is all." He told them after a while. No matter how many times he's told her to stop seeing that boy she would never listen. Hell, he even pushed Arvin to break up with her. For a while it worked, but only for a while. Not that long after they found their way back together which really shocked him, he thought they were done for good. He could try as much as he wanted to keep her away from Arvin but just like her mother, she was very stubborn and didn't stop until she got what she knew was right for her.