7

𝐷𝑒𝑠𝑠𝑒𝑟𝑡

It took a while for the whole thing to process in the old ladies mind, it looked like she had to take a breather for a couple of seconds

It took a while for the whole thing to process in the old ladies mind, it looked like she had to take a breather for a couple of seconds. "Of course I remember you. Preacher Teagardin's daughter." She said with a small smile that could warm anyone's heart. "Yes ma'am, I'm friends with Lenora. And well I wanted to apologize for what happened again so I baked you some brownies." Lilly informed as she walked up to Emma with the container of the chocolate dessert in hand.

"Well ain't that sweet." A chuckle escaped her somewhat dry lips as she politely took the container into her own hands and set it on the table. Almost forgetting Emma gestured towards the very tall older man. "That there is Earskell, he's them kids uncle." Emma informed with a small smile. "Hi..." Lilly greeted with a smile as he murmured a kind 'hello' under his breath.

After a brief moment of silence Lilly cleared her throat "well that's all I wanted to give you...I hope you enjoy..." she told her before going to get her sweater from the couch. Before the 17 year old could even get to the door, Emma stopped her. "You can stay if you'd like. I'm sure Lenora would enjoy your company for a bit." She said with her head turning to her granddaughters director, an eager smile plastered of her face.

She actually liked that idea a lot, hanging out with Lenora seemed to make hours feel like minutes. Under all that shy demeanor of hers, she had a lot to talk about, Lilly liked that she had all types of options on different things. "I'd like that a lot, thanks  Mrs.Russell." Lilly said with a nod as she put her sweater back on the couch.

Not long after Lenora gestured for Lilly to follow her down the hall where her room was. It was a very small room, but it felt cozy, just like home. "How's school going for you?" Lilly asked as she sat down on the bed feeling the mattress sink in a bit. "Hmm good I guess, just the same thing over and over again I suppose. What about you?" Lenora asked sitting down next to her "okay, those guys are starting to leave me alone a bit."

"That's good. See you really showed them something back there on Friday. I think you hitting Gene with the books might've scrabbled up his brains a bit." She said making Lilly let out a loud laugh. "Well it's true." Lenora added laughing along with her.

From the kitchen Emma could hear the laughs of her granddaughter, it warmed her heart knowing Lenora had someone to talk to other than her brother. She knew she had a hard time making friends so having one really made Emma feel like she was being taken care of.

"That girl, she's a sweet thing ain't she?" Emma asked Arvin as he sat on the kitchen table next to his uncle, the two looked at him with some type of smile. Looking around he gave a nod "yeah...she's something." Was all he said before blowing out the smoke from yet another one of his cancer sticks. "You know her that well?" Earskell asked

Arvin shook his head "no, I dropped her off when it was getting dark last week. Other than that I don't really know her, I only know that her daddy's the preacher." Arvin answer forming a thin line with his lips he knew they were going to bring up what they saw earlier, or what they thought they saw. "What were y'all talking about when we were gone?" Emma asked as she cut up the brownies in square shaped pieces.