f i f t y - f i v e

It had been two weeks since the war passed. Two weeks since everyone's world was crushed. When we held Fred's funeral it felt like we buried a part of George as well. Everyone who knew Fred was there. Even Gianna. It was hard for her as well. But as I sat there holding Georges' hand and keeping him company I could tell that he was slipping. When he spoke he couldn't make it through his speech. Finally having Charlie comes to his side and finishing up the rest. 

Since the funeral, George had spent each and every day in his room. His hair was a mess as he stayed in his clothing from the day before. He rarely showered and when he did he would sit in there for hours until I had to go pull him out and dry him over. Hearing his muffled tears as I would close the door after I was done and stand out there and wait for him.

The following morning, I woke and rolled over. George was still fast asleep. I gently kissed his forehead before I headed down to the kitchen to make him a cup of coffee like I usually did. When I walked into the room he was awake and sitting by the window again looking out across the distance. I walked over to him and tapped him on his shoulder, bringing him back to reality as he turned his head to look at me. Through his tear-stained face, he would always give me a soft smile as I passed him his cup of coffee. Noticing a few tears slip down his face as I pulled the sleeve of my sweater over my hand and whipped them away.

"I'll be downstairs if you need me," I whispered before placing a kiss on his head, brush his hair back from his eyes a little as it had begun to grow longer. I slowly walked towards the door, looking back at him every now and then just to make sure he was okay. Closing it quietly as I looked towards George. Watching as he took one sip before he began to cry again as I closed the door.

It hurt me to see him hurting. I know how it felt and I wanted to give him time to heal. He just lost his other half. How was I supposed to comfort him through that? I made it halfway down the staircase before I broke out into tears. Quickly covering my mouth with my hand as I muffled my cries since no one else was away. Gripping the railing with my other hands as I sat down on the steps. Letting out a big gasp as it felt like someone was squeezing everything out of my heart. The same feeling I had when my father passed. Out of all people why Fred. It wasn't fair. To George. To Molly and Arthur. To any of us.

A few moments later I heard Molly and Arthurs door open. I looked up and saw Molly making her way down towards me as I looked up at her.

"It's okay, sweetie," She said as she helped me up. Grabbing both of my hands as we made our way down to the kitchen. Her face a red and puff just like the rest of ours. How in the world was she keeping it together better than George. I mean this was the first time I had cried since the battle. I was trying to be strong for George and everyone else but I had also just lost one of my closest friends. Walking down the last few steps together before Molly went over and made both of us a cup of coffee.

"I feel silly for crying so much," I hushed as I fiddled with my thumbs.

"Don't be. You lost someone as well."

"I know. I am just trying to be strong for everyone else. I remember how strong everyone was when my dad passed. I just want to return the favor."

"You need to grieve as well," She said handing me a cup, looking up at her as it looked like she hasn't slept in days, "Sweetie you lost Remus and Tonks. Not just Fred. We all almost someone. You as well."

"I just," I whispered, "How do I help him. I feel like he is shutting me out and I don't know what to do."

"You are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing. You are there for him. It may be hard the see but you are. You are here for all of us."

"Do you think a trip to the cottage would be good for him?" I asked, "I know that when I went on my trip, I know it helped me."

"It is worth a shot. You never know. I am sure Bill and Fleur would love to have you guys come and stay for a few days," Molly said as I reached over and grabbed her hands, "I miss him. Both of them. When we buried Fred I feel like we buried a part of George as well. How could they take one of my boys? One of my babies?" She sobbed. I got up from up chair and moved to the one next to her. Holding her close as I let her cry. 

"It's okay Molly," I spoke softly while rubbing her back, "It's not fair. It never will be."

It felt like we sat there for hours while Molly cried. Arthur came down eventually and moved her over to one of the couches as she had cried herself to sleep in my arms. I watched as Arthur picked her up gently and walked off with her around the corner. I grabbed both of our mugs and set them in the sink before going to write to Fleur. 

Sending the letter off with Errol and then waited for their response. Everyone was finally awake around lunchtime. So Arthur and I started to make dinner for everyone. I made a plate for George and me before heading up to his room. By then Fleur had written back and she said that we could come and stay a few days with them. 

When I pushed the door open, George was asleep by the window. This time there was a book in his hand. I placed both plates on the nightstand and went and sat by him. I placed my hand on his shoulder and gently shook him, hoping to wake him up. I watched his eyes flutter as they finally open, still bloodshot.

"Sorry," I whispered, "I brought you some food." As I leaned over and grabbed his plate. Setting it on his knees as he sat up a bit straighter. 

"Thank you," He said as I leaned back over and grabbed my plate. Setting it in my lap as I looked up at him holding his sandwich as he took a bite out of it. 

"So just a random thought," I said as his eyes shot over to me while he set his sandwich down, "I know when after my father passed, going on a trip helped me clear my head and grieve. So I wrote to Fleur and Bill to see if we could come and stay with them for a few days. They would love to have us, but it is totally up to you."

George didn't say anything as he looked at me.

"I know that you losing your brother is different than me losing my father and people grieve in their own ways. I just thought it would help and I thought maybe a change of locations would help you process your thoughts more," I rambled on before he cut me off by grabbing my hands

"I think that sounds like a great idea," He said bringing himself closer to me.

"Really?" I spoke as a few tears formed in my eyes.

"Yes," He said as he moved his plate off of his lap and then moved min. Moving closer to me as I rubbed my thumbs over his knuckles, "I'm sorry I have been so quiet these past few days but I really do love everything you have been doing for me and everyone."

"It's okay sweetie," I hushed as he quickly pulled me into him. Turning me around as he pressed my back into his chest as his arms wrapped around me. 

"You see over there in those bushed?" George asked as he pointed at them.

"Yeah," I said as I slipped my arms around his.

"When we first learned about you, Fred and I went out to those bushes and immediately started to come up with pranks that we could pull on you so you would never want to come here again. It was all Fred's idea of course. But then we actually met you and realized how cool you were and the fact that you pranked Percy right away, I think made both of us fall in love with you. But then later that night Fred and I went back out to that same spot and vowed that we would protect you just as we would with Ron and Ginny," George said.

"So what prank did you want to pull on me?" I asked.

"Fred wanted to turn your hair green."

"Really? Green?" I giggled as I tilted my head to look up at him, "Now that would have been a sight."

George looked down at me and placed a small kiss on my lips. Feeling his fingers dig into my sides as he held me closer like I was going to leave again. Which was never going to happen.  I staying right here, forever.