Chapter 77

"Is she alright?", his brows furrowed.

"Ah, fuck- Yes", I swore under my breath.

"She hasn't even been picking up, what the fuck is going on with her?", Aiden pushed me backward, peering at the washroom door behind me, almost removing me from in front of their parents.

"Is she even okay? What is she doing?", he yelled, dramatically.

His palm pressed against my shoulder and I hit a pillar on my way. I flinched and stepped away, only to stumble into more people until we turned to a different passage.

"Shh.. I'm sorry, I had to get you out of there.."

"What?"

"Uh, parents.."

"Oh. The heck? Why?"

"Uhh, I think Alex will tell you that", he shrugged, quickly dismissing the topic, "I'm Aiden-"

"I know.."

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I know nothing makes sense but Abuelita is sick, she's having trouble breathing. The doctors say it's mostly stress and-.."

What was I to do with that information? I was pissed. Nevertheless there was at least someone who felt I was deserving enough of an explanation.

Alex stepped out of the washroom, wiping her face.

"What's up?"

The serious look on her face reflected on her brother's.

"What do you mean 'what's up'? Why the fuck have you not been picking up?"

"I-"

"Abuelita fell unconscious today, chanting your name, moron! She fucking misses you..-", he trailed off, scolding Alex with great passion.

His voice didn't go over a whisper. He wore a chin-strap beard around his rather slim face, unlike Alex's.. and a baggy sweater to keep warm.

Her eyes connected with mine for a split second then looked back at his, "I'll wait downstairs. You stay with them.."

-

"Can I call Travis?", I gazed into the distance, unable to connect with a stone-cold Alex.

"Uhm.. I can drop you home. It would be pretty chaotic for anyone else's presence.."

Not mine?

"He's not anyone else..?", I accused.

She looked up from her phone, her big and weary eyes politely mocking me and waiting for myself to answer.

I shook my head and looked away.

Why would Travis be close to abuelita?

How close was I with abuelita? How old was she? Why did I have to be taken away from her parents? Why did she ignore her mother? Why are you not fucking speaking?

She ate a singular burger and just sat engrossed in her phone like it was the morning newspaper. I couldn't even be mad.

"Hey", Aiden sighed and sat next to me on the steel chair.

"Hold on. Have I ever met your parents?", I questioned, my voice only audible to him.

"Uhhh, no", he admitted, awkwardly.

"Why?"

"UHHHH, because- Alex?"

Oh, for fuck's sake..

"Wot?"

"Why?", he sighed.

"Why what?"

"Nothing. I'm trying to make a conversation", I rolled my eyes.