Chapter 74

Rose's POV:

I lay in bed, Rex on my tummy. The clock ticking eerily in the room.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

The door unbolted and swung open with great energy. His already opened belt slid out of the loops with one pull.

"Mum, can you sleep upstairs?"

"Of course, honey. I was going to ask you, is Alex not coming home?", she stepped in, slowly.

"Nah, Nicky said they'll have a sleepover so..", I sat up with Rexi in my arms.

"Ah, I see. We could have a mother-daughter chit chat!", she beamed, happily.

"Yes!"

-

"So when your dad met my father, he didn't like him a lot. Charles was very boisterous and macho. Sometimes overconfident, you know?"

I smiled as she went on with her beautiful love story. It was nice to know about the love between your parents.

"So I ran away.."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah! And my mother supported me.."

"Your dad!?"

"He was lectured about respecting his children's decisions", she snickered, proudly.

"Oh my God", I laughed, "so you went back?"

"We were eventually accepted and everything turned out fine. It was adventurous nevertheless", she shrugged, casually.

"Jeez, that's amazing!"

"It is.."

I stared at the ceiling, fascinated. I wanted more family time. I had to make new memories.

"Rose?"

"Yes, mom?", I turned towards her and put my arm over her. She was even smaller than I was.

"Are you taking your medicines on time?"

"With utmost care, yes!"

"What did the doctors say, honey? How was the treatment?", she caressed my head, lovingly. I felt even more guilty for hiding the truth from her.

"For the first few days, they didn't take any assessments except for the physical head itself. But later, they examined how I would remember short term things. Like, what did you eat for breakfast? And things like that..

I did pretty well for being aware of my surroundings. I made one of the nurses my friend. It was hard to understand what the doctors said, she always went easy on me.."

"Has your head healed completely since the incident?", she put her hand at the back of my head, trying to feel for any bumps.

"Yeah, it happened quite long ago, right? So other than the flashbacks I'm a lot better.."

"Long time ago? When did this happen, honey?"

She frowned. My heart started beating fast. What exactly did Alex tell them?

"Um.. about two months ago? Why, what was it supposed to be?"

"Aah, no, it's okay. Alex found you quite later, that's what I know.."

"Oh yes. I was in the hospital, right?"

I was trying too hard. I was trying too hard to lie. It had to be evident.

"So when Alex found me, she gave me a lot of space. I went to therapy. I made friends. Everything started feeling better", I shrugged.

ComPLETELY skipping an entire episode.