Chapter 17

"Are you feeling better now?"

I giggled, wiping my face, "a lot..", Gloria passed me a tissue paper, "thank you.."

Two breakdowns, one panic attack, and one grand hour later, we were done with the story telling. I spilled my heart out about Sam and my experiences. My trust issues, my credulousness, and the weird mixture of it.

I felt uncomfortable talking about Alex. I didn't even know this person, not like I needed to. I just felt it wasn't something I could easily tell someone at once. My feelings for Alex.

"Is it okay if we call your friend, now?"

"Yes..", my heart jumped again. It's so annoying.

She hit the bell on her table and Alex stepped in within seconds. She sat next to me, seeming very impatient.

"So, Rose.. it seems like you're suffering from retrograde amnesia. In your case it is due to the brain injury from the accident. There are various treatments for it.. medications, therapy or even surgery. I would recommend you take some medications alongside therapy while we try to catch hold of your previous documents from the accident. It will also help with your anxiety and panic attacks, which itself stem from the effects of the shock", she scribbled something on a piece of paper.

It wasn't too much to take in, I was anticipating all of it. But maybe it was, for Alex. I saw worry in her eyes and I wasn't sure what exactly it was for.

"Do you have any addictions?"

"Um, no.."

"Alcohol.. smoking.. drugs?"

"No", I shook my head, "yea- actually.."

Both Alex and Gloria looked up instantly.

"Sam kept me on birth control.."

"Oh my God", Alex groaned silently.

"Are you on birth control, right now?"

"No, it's been about four days I'm not.."

"Do you remember when the last time you had your cycle was?"

"Uh- not that I can remember.. no.."

"Okay.. your friend has mentioned that we don't know which hospital you were admitted at after your accident, but we will try our best to trace your past reports and diagnoses.

"Until then I would still suggest you consult Dr. Lanie for the medications.. you just have to submit this in the reception and you'll know what to do", she smiled and handed the paper to Alex.

"And for now, I think we can start therapy whenever you want..", she smiled at me, sweetly. I felt invited. Nervous and excited, I smiled back.

"Actually..", Alex spoke, "we're not here for too long, so can we have it more often? Like twice a week or more?", she looked at me for confirmation.

"I'll definitely look into it and let you know.."

-

"God, that made me want to puke, ugh", I breathed in the fresh air, outside. I stretched my arms and felt like dancing.

"What's your favourite food? Let's go eat out today..", Alex put her arm around my waist and we walked to the car.

"We can try something new, I'd love that", I kissed her cheek. I was truly happy with her. I felt incredibly safe. Even when we stood in the line, waited for the doctor or whatever, she always kept her hand around my shoulder or on my back, always checking for my safety.

"So, how was the session?"

I laughed at the thought of it, "it was weird in the beginning. I was kind of freaking out but to be honest, I felt way better after letting it all out. I cried twice", I giggled.

"Wow, must've been intense", she raised an eyebrow.

"Kind of, yes. She said the nightmares and flashbacks will fade nevertheless.. so I wasn't expecting a lot of medications either.. I'm so glad..", I slumped into my seat and stretched out. I felt carefree for once, almost like I had overcome something huge.

Alex pulled the lever on my seat and I was almost lying down.

"Thank you..", I smiled and turned towards her, "what did you do outside, for so long?"

"I.. wrote. I wrote my heart out.. aaaaand.. played games on my phone and then just.. yeah, I almost fell asleep too..", she laughed.

"Aw, I'm so sorry.."

"Oh, come on!", she smiled.

We stayed in silence. I just stared at her while she drove. It was peaceful.. until a knock on the window.

"License?"

I immediately straightened.

Oh God, why is it my window?

He was incredibly close for my liking.. maybe he didn't mean it that way.

Alex handed him her license and scooted a bit closer towards the window. I just felt it in me to snuggle into her, right then.

"Where are you headed to?"

"Any fancy restaurant we can find.. any suggestions?"

"Who's car is this?"

Alex stared at him for a couple seconds before speaking again, "it's a rented, is there a problem? Do I have to come out and speak?"

Shit got heated damn quick and I wasn't liking it. He handed her license back but his hand hung at the door for a while. Oh shit, it was a staredown, now.

His eyes shifted to me and he bit his cheek. I could've smacked him in the face right then but nothing in me could let me do that. I had trained myself to not react to being violated, to the point that I didn't even feel like escaping the situation. I just taught myself to adjust to it, somehow. My fight-or-flight response was turned down to zero.

"Yeah, we're leaving if there's not a problem..", Alex scooted closer, her arm resting on my seat and the other starting the car.

He scoffed under his breath, "fucking dykes..", and just as he was about to leave-

"Yeah, what was that?", Alex turned off the engine and stepped out of the car. Shit.

"What did you say?", he stepped closer to her. From afar, I could judge they were probably the same size, and if Alex actually managed to get into a fight-

"What word did you use? I don't think I heard that right. Can you say it again?"

"Dyke!", he stressed on the word, scornfully, "have a problem?"

Alex folded her arms, and just nodded mockingly, "yeah.. say it again.. I like it.."

"Yeah, you think you're gonna get away with this, huh?", he slipped out a piece of paper from his pocket and from what I could tell, was probably going to fine her but- Alex snatched it and threw it away.

He grabbed her collars and my eyes went wide. They're fighting now.

'SHIT! ALEX HAS NOT EVEN HEALED FROM THE PREVIOUS FIGHT!'

My body moved, I was alive, I could do something. I panicked.

"Alex!", I yelled and stepped out of the car.

"Say it again, coward!", her fist landed on his jaw.

"Never had dick before?", I stopped dead in my tracks. My heart started beating loud.

"Never had a good dick before?", his fingers wrapped around my neck and my head hit the wall.

He pushed her against the hood of the car and she struggled to kick him off. My head spun. The contents of my stomach were hurled across within. I couldn't move. I couldn't stand.

The world started spinning uncontrollably. I could only hear Alex's groaning and the slams, until that too turned into a flat static sound.

I went numb. A hundred different images rushed through my mind, I felt my knees buckle. Something hit my head and the world turned black.