Chapter 90

[I shouldn't have to say this but I'll say it anyway. Note the difference in narrative across characters.]

Alex's POV:

"But what happens to Nicky, Alex?", the girl cried in the back seat, her cheeks stained with mascara.

"Nicky", I muttered under my breath. Her face began to melt. I looked away from the rear view mirror.

The cold breeze stung against my skin as my fiancée sped up the vehicle. I looked outside the window trying to distract myself but my eyes were only drawn to images.

I saw in the reflection of the side mirror, an arm hanging from the window behind. It was rotting.

His marred face peeked out and he smiled devilishly, "what happens to Nicky, Alex?"

The voice was guttural and I heard it extremely close to my ears. My eardrums itched.

"Let me go.. let me go..", I cowered into my seat, my heart threatening to tear out of my chest.

"Where is Nicky gonna go?", it barked into my neck.

"She grabbed two more glasses from the waiter's tray, "to your absence, to Sam's..-"

"Oh bastard! This is for my love for you. Our rock-solid friendship", I stressed on the strange word, "and to hundreds of years we will live.. rocking parties.."

My belly hurt with gas as random old memories flashed behind my eyelids.

Her glass clinked against mine and she drank it in one go.

"I'm not done yet, fucker!", I downed mine, struggling to keep up with her pace.

"I LOVE YOU!", she exclaimed and put her arm on my shoulder, already tipsy. My head shook for a second but that was all.

"HOW THE FUCK DOES ALCOHOL GO TO YOUR HEAD SO EASILY?"

I struggled to breathe in the waking world.

She held my arm and dragged me through the crowd.

"Alex, we're home. Baby, come to me, I'm right here", someone hugged me by the side and tried to pull me out.

My legs struggled to fight it. I nearly got out but something held me back.

"Nicky, let go", I panted.

I opened my eyes, vision blurry. It held onto my arm tightly, it's own rotting and melting. My eyes widened.

"Only if she was here, Lexi", my eardrums itched and buzzed.

"Please let me go. Please let me go", I cried. Hands frantically tried to pull me out of the vehicle. The world around me started to fade.

His grip tightened and crawled over my arm as he tugged onto me more. I screamed in fright.

"BABY, PLEASE OPEN YOUR EYES. PLEASE, LISTEN TO ME!"

I recognised her.

"I can't- I can't. Rose, I'm scared", my yelling turned into whispers, "they're right there.."