Chapter 59

It wasn't the first time I'd felt her tense up against me. Her fingers locked in my hair. Our hearts beating loudly against each other.

"Shh, don't make a sound.."

The beats became louder and I came to the conclusion of it being from a possibly human source.

Alex's leg was shaking. I pinned her against the tree trunk so as to support her bruised leg. Completely failing on the horny-and-tipsy side.

"It could be a human..", Alex spoke, shakily.

I heard a high pitched cry from quite far away, accompanied by what now had started to sound like, drumbeats.

"Is it just me or did that sound like a tribal cry?"

"Oh, you're joking!"

But the voice sounded familiar..

I heard a snap of a twig and rustling in the bush behind, almost as if forcing us to retreat towards the strange sounds.

"Alex!", I clutched at her collars as I tried to find a place to hide. My head spun with the booze.

"Do you recognise that?"

"JANE!"

The drumbeats stopped. I heard her voice again.

"JANE, OVER HERE!"

"Holy mother of Jesus..", Alex breathed as she gathered our stuff. I leaped towards the sound.

"It's the forest department.. damn, je- Rose?"

"I'm right here! Quick!", I called over my shoulder and fought the trees as I leaped on, "JANE!"

Multiple torches were flashed into my face.

"Holy shit! This really wasn't a prank", Jane hugged me extremely tight.

"Alex..", I choked, "she's still back there.."

The guards followed us with questioning looks. The leader of the group asked us several questions but in a language I didn't understand.

"Alex..", I pulled her arm over my shoulder, as she limped forward.

"How the fuck did you guys end up here?"

"I told you.. we were surrounded and had to escape through the basement and we ended up absolutely lost.."

"Moet de politie worden geïnformeerd?", the guy spoke in his very eccentric tone.

"What'd he say?"

"Police shit necessary?"

"Oh no, we already tried calling for them. Benny's still back home.. or.."

"Shit..", Alex swore, "wait, no.. hey, do you have a phone?"

Jane handed her the phone and luckily enough we had some signal by the end of the woods.

Jane explained the situation to the persons in charge. They seemed to argue a bit at first but cooled down soon.

"He's not picking up.."

Alex was the most hurt and the most nervous of us all.. and it broke my heart. I couldn't make sense of my head.

I was sleep deprived, drunk, and dizzy. I lost balance and stumbled into a deputy.

My heart leaped as I desperately tried to grab something. My fingers grazed at his hairy arms and he immediately took me by the shoulder.

Shit. Please, don't touch me. Please don't touch me. Please, don't touch me..

"It's okay, I got you", Jane quickly changed places with the man.

The man spoke in Dutch. Alex wasn't next to me anymore. I felt helpless and could crash any moment.

They dropped us at her car and my entire body turned limp. I rested my head on Alex's thigh and shut my eyes into darkness.

The one and only kind of darkness that felt okay.. rest.

-

"What do you mean 'we can't tell them yet', you have to take action at some point!"

"I know.. it's just.. things are happening too fast, I don't want court shit to pop up all of a sudden.."

"Have you asked her even once? Do you know what she wants?"

"I know what she would want and for once I don't want to rush her.."

"Yeah, but she deserves to have a say in it! If you don't file a proper report soon, the cops won't trust you at all! What is your plan, for real?"

The two whispered with passionate aggression as I pretended to still be asleep.

"My fucking plan? The entire soil to all of my plans have been either you or your other friend. No one had the fucking courtesy to ask me what the fuck.."

"The courtesy? Elijah came for answers that day and I have complete memory of the tale.. don't make me go there.."

My ears perked up at the mention of the incident.

"Oh, wow so you barge into someone's place without fucking permission and you just force them to answer your bloody questions? What itch were you scratching?"

"You - a random fucking stranger who buys people off of the net and falls in love with them to satisfy what quench of yours?"

"STOP BICKERING YOU GUYS!", I sat up, "you can't have a normal fucking conversation, can you? You're constantly at each other's throats!"

The room went silent.

"Like fucking monkeys..", Alex commented.

Everybody broke into a fit of giggles, releasing the tension.

Jane crawled over into bed and hugged me. The scent of herbs emitting from her baggie shirt.

"I'll be downstairs..", Alex spoke, blankly and left.

Oh no, does she think we have a thing?

"Wait, did you tell her?"

"Tell her what?", Jane looked at me sweetly.

"Um.. that I got drunk.. the other night? Um.. that night.."

She raised her eyebrows, "oh, that night.. of course not, why would I? I'm not a bitch..", she giggled.

"You're not", I hugged her tightly and started sobbing like a child, "thank you for last night.."

"Oh, come on, what happened?"

"I'm so tii-iired", I sniffled, "shit's been hitting the fan every daaaa-ay.."

"Oh Lord, we have therapy today, you wanna come? Or we could like just chill out later, have some pizzas or something lavish, anyt-"

"Shut uuuuup, Alex is my fiancèeeee..", I stretched out my words as I whined, dramatically.

"What am I supposed to say?", she laughed, "Rose Adams! You've found a home!", she exaggerated.

"Shut uuuuup, aaaah", I pulled away, going back to normal, "okay, I need a shower.."

-

Alex is distant. And it is beyond frustrating. Benny came home after the interrogation, he looked scared and exhausted.

And it was all because of me. Sam coming back to London, the police suspecting our own selves, getting wasted in a forest, having escorts around the house.. all because of one man wanting to fuck me.

I was drained and distraught. I was tired of being strong and telling myself it's okay, things will change. Now we're all fucked.

And I just couldn't bring myself to accept that there would have to be a day when I'd need to open my mouth. To speak up. To confess. In utter detail.

About how the bruises appeared on my body, the cuts, the trauma, the fear of men.. and how it happened over and over again.