Chapter 39

My head spun as the lights flashed and horns blared. I struggled to breathe.

"It's okay, we're okay.. focus on your breathing! Focus on your breathing!"

I couldn't. How could someone just calm me down? My face started hurting. I was losing sight.

"JANE, CALM THE FUCK. DOWN", Elijah scolded.

I lowered my head into Elijah's arms. She made me lie down and gave me some water.

"They've lost us, they've lost us", Jane slowed down the car, "it's okay, we're going far away.."

"I wanna be with Alex", I whimpered, falling asleep.

"Hey, Rose. Keep your eyes open, okay? We're gonna be fine", Elijah rubbed the back of my palm, frantically.

"I'm tired.."

"Keep your knees up, keep your knees up! We want you to be awake, okay? Look at me.."

I couldn't, "please, let me sleep.."

"Mì cariño, come here. Let me hug you", Elijah spoke words of encouragement and hugged me while I tried to catch my breath.

Her scent was rather redolent, sending me back to thousands of memories. It was a pleasant perfume.

I breathed into her short, curly hair as she patted my back, whispering words of comfort.

"Are you feeling better?"

I nodded. My head still hurt.

I drank some water. The oxygen was reaching my lungs with less difficulty and I got back to my senses slowly.

"Do you wanna stay over with us for the night?"

"Alex..", I didn't want her to think I had run away. And running away? It was never as easy to escape Sam's corruption hub like that.

"Just so you guys know, back when Sam had me all jailed up.. he actually had guards roaming around and all the gates would stay locked at all times. So really, it wasn't easy to escape.."

"Dude. You think we'll judge you? After all this?"

"Gosh, Rose, you never have to think that..", Jane turned around and smiled at me, "we're back at Alex's.."

I sighed, "can we sit here for a while?"

We sat in the backseat, just resting our heads against each other's. It was a dangerously eventful day.

Elijah tried to unlock the phone we found, while Jane silently played with my hand.

"By the way, I found something..", I reached into my pocket and pulled out the ring. Elijah flashed her phone at it.

I don't know what they were thinking but they slid it on my finger.

"It fits!"

"It fits the tan line too!"

I eyed it carefully, silently praying for any flashbacks whatsoever but none came. I found myself more, creating fantasies of wedding days to cue me back. But they weren't real..

It had a shiny blue stone sitting in the middle. I dared not imagine it was diamond.

"It's on real silver", Jane admired.

"What?", they looked at me.

"I don't know.. I have too many thoughts", I sighed.

"We don't tell Veronica.. she could go out of her way and destroy this completely. I don't trust her.."