Chapter 25

Alex's POV:

"Good Lord, Alex! It's been ages", Nicky groaned across the line.

"I know, I know, I'm just having a hard time here", I laughed off the seriousness.

"Hmm.. how bad?"

"Huh?", I leaned against the car. The sun shone bright, which was atypical for December, but again, this is the city of unpredictable weather.

"How bad is the stay? How's Amsterdam treating you?"

"Pretty..", I looked around, taking the view of the city from the street, "pretty fresh, yes.."

"Oh, come on! Tell me what you've been up to.."

"Lower the volume of your TV, Nicky", I laughed.

"Sam.. cut it!", I waited, "oh gosh, he's so annoying.. sorry I'll change rooms.."

"How's Sam?"

"Just the same.. you tell me.."

"Okay, so I went to meet this lady in person and she straight up rejected my essay, because she thinks it's too blunt. I mean, dude, you asked for an essay on fucking gun control? What a dunce! I think she didn't like me, maybe.."

"Oh, baby, it wasn't you. I bet she's just jealous. Most of these dimwits can't even get out of their own locked mindset. Did you reach out to the local libraries, though?"

"Yeah, I submitted a few copies, that's all good.."

"Okay..", silence lingered. An uncomfortable one. We were drifting and I could feel it in the air.

"Is everything else okay? You haven't been telling me stuff.."

"Uh.. yeah, just too overwhelmed with a lot of stuff", silence lingered again. I played with my hair to distract myself, "I miss Rex a lot.."

"Aw, it's okay.. you'll be back soon, right? We'll all have a grand party when you do", I could hear Nicky smiling.

"Christmas. Promise, I'll be Santa..", my heart warmed up inside my chest. I couldn't wait to finally meet them.

"I love you, Nicky..", I smiled. I missed her.

"I love you too, Alex..", a rather comfortable silence prevailed this time, "you know what exactly I want to hear from you, right?"

I sighed. It was about it again, "I know.. I know, I'll update you as soon as there's good news.."

"I wish the best for you Alex.."

Tiny droplets of tears formed in my eyes. I rested against the car and breathed loudly.

"I love you, Lex.. please take care of yourself.."

I giggled, "thanks, I will.."

"Call me more often?"

"I'll try, I promise you that.."

"Love you.."

"Bye.."

One could mistake us for girlfriends, but she's straighter than a scale. And... scales are bendable.. I guess. Wow, that was not a good comparison.

I looked towards the building and waited for my girlfriend in my imagination to come through and voila.. wait, who's that..? Why is she coming this way? Does she know me? Why is she pretty? Hold up, is she an undercover? Oh gosh, Alex, calm down.

"Hi! I think I saw you that day? You're with Rose, right? Alexis?"

"Alex! Yes, hi.. and you are.."

"Oh, this is Jane. Nice to meet you", she shook my hand. I felt the tingles in my chest. I was just always this nervous around pretty women, just slay me.

"I don't think it's a good idea to have a personal conversation with you, having Rose in the same support group as me", she laughed, "but I just thought I could say hi to you while she was still there.."

"Oh that's no issues.. unless Rose has issues with it", we laughed.

"So, you're a writer, right?"

I don't know why she wanted to make a conversation with me, but I gave it a shot, "yes, pretty much for the most of my life now.."

"That's really fantastic. I've never met someone who is, like a full fledged writer. It's a tough line", she commented and quickly jumped to introducing herself, "I'm in law school, looking forward to graduating next year and to be honest", we made steady eye contact for once, "I'm really concerned about Rose.. she's been through a lot in a really short period of time.."

I nodded, "I try to be there for her.. she's already had enough of my niceness", I stressed on my new word, and raised my eyebrows. Jokes really do cut the tension well, huh.

"And I hope you stay nice", she raised her eyebrows, mimicking me. Oh. Maybe it didn't work. Was she mocking me?

I laughed, "you're cute. I'll see you around, next session?", I looked over to see Rose walking out with Veronica. I needed a getaway.. and the compliment? It really helps in gaining your stance back. It intimidates people and puts them back in their place.. which I guess it did.

"Ah, yes.. I should get going. It was nice speaking to you", we made eye contact again. I, for some wild reason, was really quite intimidated by herself.. and it was more than just the pretty face.

"I'm glad we talked", I smiled a bit rudely extra. What was up with me?

"Alright, then! See ya!"

Jane walked away and I turned towards the other two talking. Rose looked mad, but she listened to Veronica, quietly.

Was something wrong, today? Jane sounded suspiciously protective of Rose. I mean.. even I am suspiciously protective of Rose.. but.. roses are just too pretty, I can't help it..