Chapter 26

Rose's POV:

"Rose, I'd like to have a word with you", Veronica smiled, warmly. At least, she's looking into it.

The others shuffled out of the room. The session was over. Katherine patted my back, reassuringly.

"Your.. case is a little sensitive, and by sensitive I mean.. it involves a crime..", Veronica went on. The room seemed small. Veronica arranged some papers. I started growing tense.

"You need proper assessment, I would say, maybe going into client centred therapy and not just a support group.. it is healthy, yes. To have a group which can..", I hate it when people don't get to the point.. especially when it's something serious.

"Can we.. uh, talk outside?", the room started feeling smaller and with a random stranger present in the room with me, I grew uncomfortable.

"Yes, sure!", and we walked outside. Veronica went on with her hand gestures and rant about the different kinds of therapies.

The door opened into a hallway and we exited through the main door. I figured she was also on her way out. My eyes wandered around and fixed onto Alex in the distance.

"So.. maybe think about it, Rose.. you don't have to worry about confidentiality, you know that", she looked at me.

"Do I?", I didn't know if I trusted anyone. They could totally tell the authorities, couldn't they?

"We don't have any right to breach your privacy, Rose. And if you think we do, you have all rights to report us..", her steel grey eyes stared into my soul. Her tone was of concern. Did people actually care? I could doubt it.

"Do you feel comfortable with Alex?", she looked in her direction. She was talking to someone.. I couldn't see who it was.

"Yes, I do.."

Veronica gave me a solemn smile. I returned it.

"Thank you.. I'll think about it. I believe in having a support group more than real therapy, right now.. I really need a friend.."

-

"Who were you talking to?"

"Hey. Your friend? It was Jane. She stopped by to say hi-.."

"She's not my friend.."

"Oh, bad terms?"

"Nobody's my friend", I rolled my eyes.

"O-okay.. and you told them my full name?", she smiled a sly smile. I didn't want to be mad, but I just was.

"Why? What's wrong with Alexis?"

"Um", she frowned and chuckled, "nothing, I'm just more proud of half of my name", she shrugged.

"Even Veronica asked me to call her V. I don't know what's with people and their names..", I got inside the car.

"I..", Alex chuckled, "okay.. Taco Bell? I'm kinda hungry.."

She leaned against the window and I just stared at her. I couldn't reject her. Not those hopeful eyes, that sweet smile.. I groaned in defeat, "fine.."

She hurried to her seat and started the car.. or tried..

The keys turned in the socket, the engine started and the car jolted wildly, then suddenly stopped.

"Fuck!"

"What happened?"

Alex got out of the car to check the rear. The car looked furbished on the inside, though. Guess, all things glitter, is not gold.

"I got duped again. Can you try to start the engine? I'll push from the back?"

"I.. okay?"

"It's not a lot, you just have to-"

"I got this, I got this", I scooted over to the driver's seat. My heart started beating fast.

"Gear two, foot on the clutch.. as soon as it starts-"

"I got this, I got this, I got this!", I said, with a small smile coming to my face.

I put my hand on the wheel. My face brightened up. It felt new, but it felt familiar.

"Ready?", Alex yelled.

"Yes!"

I turned the keys and the engine kicked in. My body jolted with the car.

The car swayed in front of me. Bright lights blinded my eyes. I saw something I couldn't describe. My heart raced a mile per second. Horns blared, lights flashed, I shut my eyes tight and heard the deafening sound of glass shattering and metal crashing into metal.

I opened my eyes.

The road was empty and it stared into my soul. Tears streamed down my eyes like a waterfall. My lips quivered in fright and I immediately removed my hand from the steering.

"Ah, shit. It's a banger!", Alex groaned, the car jerked forward again and I stepped out of it, hyperventilating. "Rose?"

Alex engulfed me into a bear hug as soon as she saw me, "baby!"

I wailed into her collar. My heart raced too loud, my lungs couldn't keep up. Alex rubbed my back, frantically.

My back ached with the breathlessness and I clenched my fist around her jacket. I struggled to gulp back my tears.

"Rose, hey, look! Look at me, look at me", I looked into her eyes. I could barely hold my gaze, my head pounded with pain.

"..on the present, Rose. Focus! You're safe, now. Nothing's happening.."

I looked at the floor. It wasn't shaking, it was just my head.

"It's okay, just breathe. Slowly.. slowly.."

I focussed on my breath and let it slow down. My ears were flaming and I started coming back to my senses. I felt all the pain rush through my body.. my back, my neck, my head..

"Just look at me! Look at me! Don't lose sight", my head spun but I tried to steady my gaze.

"Okay..", I gasped, "okay.."

"Just keep breathing.. slowly..", Alex rubbed my back, "it's fine.. it's all good.."

I slumped into her shoulder again. As if my body was just too weary of me at this point.

"I gotchu!", she picked me up in her arms. My feet were above the ground, and my body rested on hers.

The blood flow calmed down and every part of my body just grew limp. I knew I could move it if I wanted to, but I just didn't have the energy.

I breathed slowly into her neck. I sat in her lap regaining myself, while we waited in the car. She kissed my forehead passionately, and I burrowed myself in her jacket.

Thank you, Alex.