Chapter 18

"You're fucking kidding me? You could be behind fucking bars, right now. Are you serious?"

"Well, I fucking was", Alex stared off into the distance, holding her hand still.

The bystanders had intervened and stopped the fight, as far as I know. We guessed it was because the officer was the one to start the fight, he didn't report it.

"How is it so fucking easy for you to pick a fight?"

"What the fuck?"

I instantly regretted my words.

"We can't just stay fucking quiet and be bullied all our fucking lives, Rose. I didn't even start the fight, what the fuck?"

"What? What did you intend when you stepped out of the car, Alex? Because that sure as hell looked like you wanted to fight!"

"Yeah, it sure is easy for me to pick a fight!"

I sighed and kneeled in front of her, "Alex.. I'm sorry, I didn't mean that.."

"It's fine..", she stood up to go to the washroom.

"Alex, seriously, I wasn't thinkin-"

"It's fine, Rose. It's okay..", she shook her head, "I can get into multiple fights for you, okay? Don't call me out for that. It's just two things I fucking care about - you and some fucking respect!"

-

Alex was still put off at lunch. I didn't want to say anything stupid, so I just stayed quiet.

"I like the food.. who was it?", Alex looked up, she looked tired.

"Um, Ben and I made it together..", I smiled, faintly.

The silence was killing me. What could I say, goddamnit?

"Hey.. does it hurt?", I scooted closer to her, "I didn't even witness the whole thing.. um.. nevermind that sounds so horrible-"

Alex laughed, "yeah, kind of.. it hurts in my stomach, he spared my face somehow..", she looked at me, intently, "don't worry, it wasn't too bad.. it was fair, at least.."

"It wasn't fair, he literally had you against the bonnet. He took the upper hand right in the beginning.."

"I meant..", she scooted closer to me, "I landed a fair amount of blows myself.. so that was fair.."

We were so close that I just lost my voice. I wanted to lean in and-

"Okay.. lunch first and then we go sleep.. I'm super sleepy!"

-

Alex groaned as she shifted in the bed. The warmth was overwhelming, I just wanted to cuddle closer and closer into her, which I did.

I took off her glasses and kept them away, she giggled.

She looked so different without glasses, "you're cute.."

"Thanks", she smiled, and put her arm around me. She never forced a single movement onto me.

"I'm sorry I yelled..", Alex spoke, softly.

I chuckled, "it's okay, it wasn't even your fault..", I paused, "I'm sorry I said all that.. that you pick a fight easily-"

"Oh, baby, it's okay", she kissed my forehead.

Baby.

She looked so sleepy, it was adorable.

"Where does it hurt the most?"

She smiled.. she held my hand and put it on her belly. I slowly moved downwards and rested my forehead on her stomach for a while. I felt pained. I couldn't fight for her. She didn't deserve any of it.

I kissed her belly for a few seconds and she whimpered. I smiled and went back up to cuddle with her.

She simpered in her sleep and snuggled into me. She was so sleepy, it was cute.

I didn't even notice our lips weren't even an inch away. I smiled and kissed the side of her lips.

She kissed me back to the side my lips too. Why couldn't we just kiss already?

"Alex..", I caressed her cheek with my thumb, "what if I run away?"

"You won't", she giggled.

"How're you so sure?", I breathed cautiously, we were utterly close.

"I know you", she chuckled.

I gazed at her sleepy face, her innocent smile.. whatever she wanted from me, I didn't care.

"I love you so much..", the words just slipped out. I didn't even process it.

"I love you, too", Alex murmured in her sleep.

It was moments like these, I felt like acting on my feelings. In her waking moments, we flirted and teased and she sometimes intimidated me, too.

I couldn't think straight. At all.

"Alex..", I whispered again. My breath, like, bounced from her lips back to mine. I closed the remaining gap.

My lips were on hers.. for a brief second and I pulled away. My face was flustered. I was.. disappointed?

I moved away, feeling utterly guilty in my gut. What is wrong with me?

It felt so right to be with her.. as if I belonged there. It's been merely four days..

Sam broke my heart in three.. all the bad memories just overshadow the pleasurable first three days we spent together. It hurt to know I fell for a monster like that..

But this time.. I can trust Alex.. but not myself.