Chapter Fifty-Six

May 1, 1976
St. Paul, Minnesota
St. Paul Civic Center

Julia brought her hand up to cover her mouth, trying not to spit out her drink. Everyone around her laughed wildly at something Joey Kramer was saying. They were backstage at the Civic Center, listening to Jeff Beck's set crackle through the speakers in the room. Julia and the rest of the band were absolutely buzzing after their set, still trying to adjust to playing for such large crowds.

"Miss Brooks?" An unnamed security guard spoke up from the door of Steven Tyler's dressing room, where they all lounged on couches. Julia looked up to the security guard after she got over the shock of being called 'Miss Brooks.'

"I have three guys here with backstage passes. They say they're here to see you," the young man told her, sounding a little suspicious of the guys he spoke of. Julia jumped up from the couch where she sat beside Tommy, nearly spilling her drink on both of them.

"Let them in!" She said excitedly, running toward the door. At the sound of her voice, Robbie stepped around the security guard, barely catching his best friend as she launched herself at him.

"Hi, Jules," he laughed, laughing as he tried to stay upright. Julia's feet dangled above the ground as Robbie spun her in a circle.

"Hi! Oh my God, I'm so happy to see you!" Julia squealed, not loosening her arms around his neck. The rock bands, their surrounding groupies, and the two boys that had followed Robbie in all felt like they were witnessing something far too private, until Robbie put her back down on her feet, the two of them suddenly remembering the other people in the room and sharing a laugh.

"Everyone, this is my best friend, Robbie McClanahan," Julia announced. Tommy was the first to heave himself off the couch, stumbling his way over to Robbie with a grin.

"Robbie, man, it's good to finally meet you. I'm Tommy," he introduced, shaking Robbie's hand. Tommy had a habit of interrupting Julia's phone calls, which often led to him talking to Robbie, although this was their first in-person meeting. The rest of the band slowly made their way over, introducing themselves to the boy they had heard so much about. Steven was chatty, in part due to the alcohol. Cyndi was her typical sweet and down-to-earth self, while Jim was friendly, if a little reserved.

"Robbie, I'd like you to meet the only person who can give you a run for your money in protectiveness," Julia giggled as Jim and Robbie shook hands. Both of the guys gave her matching eye rolls.

"Robbie, I commend you on managing to look after this one for years. She's a handful," Jim sighed. Robbie quickly expressed his agreement, making Julia scoff.

"Oh, my God, I'm being so rude," Julia gasped, looking at the two boys standing awkwardly by the door.

"Robbie, who are your friends?" She asked, looking over at the boys. One of them was a tall brunette with shaggy hair, looking around at the rock star-filled room with curiosity and excitement. The other boy stood nearly as tall, with long blonde hair and a bit more apprehension on his face.

"Jules, this is Phil Verchota," Robbie gestured to the brunette, before pointing to the blonde. "And this is Bill Baker. They're both freshmen at the U. They play for Herb. I met them at try-outs."

"Nice to meet you both," Julia smiled as she shook their hands. "You'll watch out for Robbie next year, right?"

Robbie's cheeks turned pink and he rolled his eyes. Bill and Phil just laughed.

"Jules, I'll be fine," he insisted with a huff. Julia reached up, roughing up his hair with a grin.

"I'm sure you will be, Mac," she laughed, but she shot a wink to the boys she had just met. "Let me introduce you to everyone."