Chapter Fifty-Five

"Hurry up! We're gonna be late," Jimmy called to the boys the next morning. Most of them were rushing around, trying to finish any last minute packing.

"How can they still be so bad at this? We leave like every week," Robbie laughed. Robbie, of course, was perfectly packed and ready to go.

"We have to leave to meet the bus to take us to the airport in ten minutes," Rizzo announced, before going to turn on the television. Jack dragged his bag out of his room joining the few that were ready in the living room. He and Robbie made quick, awkward eye contact. Jack was pretty sure Robbie knew. After all, he and Julia had disappeared together after the game last night. Jack hadn't gotten an opportunity to ask Robbie, but something told him their secret was safe with Robbie.

"Guys, you might wanna see this," Rizzo said, his eyes glued to the television screen. Jack, Robbie, and Jimmy rushed over to find out what information the television was relaying. With all the political upset going on, they were surprised to see it had nothing to do with politics.

"...after authorities were called this morning sometime between two and three A.M. The drummer is alive, but in unstable condition."

"Rizzo, who are they talking about?" Robbie asked nervously. He already knew who the unidentifiable man on the stretcher was.

"It's Tommy. He overdosed," Rizzo told them, barely above a whisper. He looked between his friends' faces, one unspoken thought being shared between: did Julia know, and how was she reacting?

"Shit," Jack muttered, shaking his head. "She's gonna be a wreck."

"She mentioned when we were in D.C. that Tommy wasn't doing so well. I know she talked to Cyndi the other day, but she didn't say anything about Tommy," Robbie explained.

"Is he gonna be okay?" Jimmy asked, eyes glued to the screen that showed a loop of an ambulance pulling up to a hospital.

"I'm sure he will. They said he's alive," Robbie reminded them, trying to stay optimistic. He had gone through this scenario a thousand times in his head, but in his head it was always Julia he was hearing about. As more of the team joined them in the living room, they heard the news and joined in the worrying.

"Poor Jules," Magic sighed when he found out. He remembered Julia talking about how close she and Tommy were, and he wondered where Julia would be if she wasn't in Minnesota right then. Would she be on a stretcher next to Tommy?

"This is the last thing she needs right now," Jack said sadly. Robbie could've sworn that Jack almost looked...guilty?

"We gotta get going," Jimmy sighed, getting up and turning off the television.

"Are you sure you want to go?" Herb asked Julia quietly as they loaded up the car. She nodded silently, wiping the tears off her cheeks. Herb patted her shoulder as Patti and the kids got into the car. Her cousins didn't say much as they drove to meet the boys. The whole family knew Julia was upset, but they had no idea what to say to make her feel better. Herb was glad they were spending the next couple of days with the team, as he was pretty sure they were the only ones that could make her feel better. The drive was short and quiet. As they pulled into the arena's parking lot to the sight of the boys loading their stuff on the bus, Julia wondered how she would tell them about Tommy.

Jack turned around when he heard the car pull up, and he held himself back from rushing to greet Julia. He watched as she got out of the car, her sunglasses covering her eyes and her white fur coat wrapped around her. Her face portrayed no emotion, but her cheeks were red.

"OC!" Danny yelled, rushing up to Jack. Jack tore his eyes away from Julia, looking to Danny and forcing a grin.

"Hey, bud. What's up?"