Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Whose Corvette is that in the driveway?" David questioned when he picked Julia up the next day for the boys' game.

   "It's mine!" Julia told him happily. "I'm learning how to drive."

   David's jaw dropped, glancing back to the car in the driveway.

   "You bought a Corvette? To learn how to drive?" He clarified. Julia rolled her eyes at him and sighed.

   "Spare the lecture, I promise I've heard it. Are you ready to go?"

   David chuckled at her as they walked out of her house, Julia calling goodbye to her family.

   "Are the kids not going to the game tonight?"

   "Patti said no since it's a school night," Julia shrugged. She stopped walking in front of her car, grinning down at her car.

   "Isn't she so cute? It'll probably still be a few weeks before I can take her out, but I can't wait," Julia exclaimed.

   "Do you wanna take it out tonight?" David asked, but it was clear he was hesitating a little bit.

   "Oh, no, it's okay," Julia told him quickly. "We can just take your car."

   David nodded and the two of them made their way to his car.

   "Big game tonight?"

   "Well, they're playing the U. Uncle Herb was their coach up until this season. Now his assistant coach is their head coach. But Robbie, Neal, Janny, Verchota, Baker, Christoff, Strobel, and Rammer were all on the team last season. Buzzy went there, too, but he graduated in like 74."

    "Wow," David chuckled. "I'm gonna feel like a traitor if I'm not rooting for the U."

   "The boys might lose their minds if they see you cheering for their opponent," Julia warned him with a laugh, but there was certainly a layer of truth to what she said.

   "Fair, fair. I'll just make sure they don't see me," David smirked.

   "Fine, but don't be surprised when they're not nice to you at the Halloween party next week," Julia told him.

   "Oh, right. I meant to talk to you about that. I've gotta close at the store that night, so I'll be late. Do you just want me to meet you there?"

   "Yeah, that's fine. I'll just have Robbie take me and you can meet us there whenever you get off," Julia told him with a smile.

   "Are you sure the guys are cool with me coming?"

   "Of course they are," Julia insisted. "Why wouldn't they be?"

   "It  just seems like a few of them aren't crazy about you having a boyfriend," David chuckled. Julia's heart raced and her face lit up red. They had hung out pretty much every night they'd been free, but they had never had a conversation about what they were.

   "Boyfriend?" She repeated. David looked over at her with a smile, taking her hand in his.

   "Yeah, I was thinking so. That is, if you wanted to be my girlfriend?"

   "Well, yeah," she smiled. "And don't worry about the boys, they really do like you."

   "If you're sure," he nodded, still holding Julia's hand in his.

   "Oh, look, O'Callahan is heading to the box again," Kathy remarked as they watched the game. Jack had just gotten into a fight with one of the Gophers.

   "He just can't get enough of beating up on Minnesota boys," Gayle laughed.

   "He probably wishes it was Robbie," Kathy grinned, making all the girls laugh.