Chapter Eighteen

Late the next morning, Julie stood in the bathroom of her hotel room, applying a couple of layers of mascara. She wore a corduroy tan jumper dress with a red turtleneck and red tights. Her long hair was in a simple braid, thrown over one shoulder. She stood back from the mirror, examining herself.

Well, Francis and Irene should be happy enough.

She grabbed her purse and a jacket, walking out of her room and into the elevator. The boys had a morning practice, but Herb had promised he'd be back in time to be with her when her grandparents showed up. When the elevator doors opened on the first floor, she saw the boys walking into the hotel lobby.     

"Hi," she greeted them, walking up to where Rob, Jack, and Mark stood talking. They turned to look at her, and Rob couldn't help but smirk at her.

"You look like you're 15 again."

"Well, I didn't think Francis and Irene would appreciate the leather jackets, hip huggers, and band t-shirts I usually run around in," she told him, rolling her eyes. Julie checked the small watch on her wrist. "Ugh, they should be here any minute."

"It'll be okay. It's only a couple hours, and then you can rant to me all night," Rob promised.

"We can blindfold and tie up OC and let you beat him with a hockey stick if it'll make you feel better," Mark suggested. Julie laughed, shaking her head at him. Jack just glared at Mark, his mouth hanging open.

"Herb said I can't damage him until after the Olympics."

"That's right," Herb said, coming up behind them. He looked to Jack. "After the Games, you're out of my protection."  

"I'll keep that in mind," Jack nodded. Most of the team had made their way towards the elevators, but Rob, Jack, and Mark stuck behind with Herb and Julie.

"It's 12:01. Maybe they're not coming," Julie shrugged, doing nothing to hide the hope in her voice.

Just then, the doors opened, letting in the cool fall air. In walked an older couple, both of them dressed well and looking very proper. The woman stood, dripping in jewelry and makeup, looking around the lobby. They had an arrogant air around them, as they looked around in distaste. The woman's silver hair was pulled back into a beat bun, and she wore a matching dress and coat in a baby blue style. Her husband stood tall and intimidating in a dark suit and red tie. Julie could feel her breath catching in her throat.

"Is it just me or did it suddenly get colder in here?" Julie asked quietly

"You're doing the right thing. Three hours, max," Herb said quietly as he waved to the couple, who then quickly made their way over.

"Julia," the woman cooed as she awkwardly hugged her granddaughter. Her husband followed suit, and the boys watched as Julie plastered an unconvincing smile on her face. Her eyes screamed for help.

"Hi, Grandma. Hi, Grandpa."

"Herb," Francis said quietly, extending his hand for Herb to shake.

"Francis, Irene. Nice to see you."

"As always," Francis said, sounding almost sarcastic.

Mark, Rob, and Jack suddenly and unanimously regretted sticking around to witness this awkward encounter. Mark was the first to slowly start backing away, but it was too late.

"And who's this?" Irene asked, her cold eyes suddenly on the three of them. 

"These are my friends, and Herb's players. This is Mark Johnson, Jack O'Callahan, and I don't know if you remember, but this is Robbie McClanahan. He's been my best friend since we were eight."