Chapter Fifty

The rest of the road trip went by smoothly. After a win in Cincinnati, they were all settled at the hotel. The next morning, they would be on their way back to the Twin Cities. Jack and Julia had managed to keep from the boys discovering any solid evidence about them, despite a scare at the hotel in Cincinnati.

Julia had been just getting into bed in her hotel room when she heard a quiet knock on the door. She smiled to herself, hoping Jack was on the other side of the door. Keeping up the charade around the boys had left them deprived of any time together. They wouldn't even sit next to each other or walk beside each other out of fear of accidentally giving away their secret. As a result, she was seriously craving time with Jack. She hadn't realized just how much she liked being around him.

"Hi," Julia said quietly, opening the door to see Jack leaning against the doorframe, looking as handsome as ever.

"Hi, Jules," he grinned. Julia couldn't help the way her heart fluttered as she stared at him. He looked so casually cool, shaggy hair falling in his face. "Can I come in for a few minutes?"

Julia nodded, opening the door wider and stepping aside to let him in. He entered the room, Julia closing it softly behind him.

"Where did you tell Silky you were going?" Julia asked as he placed his hands on her hips, kissing her forehead.

"Silky was exhausted and passed out. He's a pretty heavy sleeper. Probably didn't even hear me leave," Jack explained. Julia raised an eyebrow, resting her hands on his shoulders.

"And yet, Rizzo still managed to hear you yesterday morning," Julia pointed out. Jack chuckled quietly, shaking his head.

"Silky won't even notice. I promise," he grinned, pulling her close to him.

"Ya know, O'Callahan, you can't just sneak into my room just to get your hands on me," Julia teased him. Jack raised his eyebrows, before letting go of her and stepping back.

"You're right. I won't touch," he promised, his hands raised in innocence. Julia rolled her eyes at him, sitting down on her bed.

"Good. You better be careful sneaking around," Julia warned him. It was Jack's turn to roll his eyes, sitting down on the bed beside her.

"It'll be fine. You worry too much," Jack grinned. "When we get home, I'm taking you on a real date."

"Oh? Aren't you supposed to ask a girl on a date, not tell her you're going on a date?" Julia sassed, shaking her head at him. Jack groaned, narrowing his eyes at her.

"You're not gonna make this easy, are you?" Jack sighed, the corner of his mouth pulling up into a smirk.

"Never," Julia beamed proudly. Jack just laughed at her, taking her hand in his.

"Wouldn't have it any other way," he assured her. He looked at her, giving her hand a squeeze. "Jules, would you like to go on a date with me when we get home?"

"I would love to," Julia grinned. Jack smiled, leaning in to plant a kiss on her lips. Almost as soon as their lips met, they were startled by a knock on the door.

"Are you expecting someone?" Jack asked quietly, glancing between her and the door, obviously confused.

"No," Julia frowned, getting up to look out the peephole. She felt her heart drop when she saw her uncle standing in the hallway. She turned around, looking to Jack with wide eyes.

"It's Uncle Herb," she whispered, scared he would hear her on the other side of the door. Jack's jaw dropped, his eyes darting around the room frantically. His eyes landed on the bathroom door, and he made a split second decision.