Chapter Eighty-Two

"Can't I please just give him a hint? He's my best friend," Julie begged Silky using her best pouty face. Silky just sighed, shaking his head.

"I'm not Jack, and those stupid puppy eyes don't work on me," Silky reminded her. "And if you want to give Mac a hint about the tree, I will happily give Herb a hint about where Jack spends his evenings."

"You're the worst, Silky," she complained, making him chuckle. The two of them were on the elevator of the hotel, heading to the lobby.

"Look, Mac is gonna get his tree back soon. I promise," he assured her, patting her shoulder as the elevator doors opened.

"Soon? We're leaving tomorrow!" Julia pointed out with an eyeroll. They were about to make their way to the last game of the tournament. The team had won all of their games so far, and spirits were high. Tonight they played the Soviet "B" team. Julia seemed more nervous than the boys did. Herb seemed extra intensely focused, and the boys still had an unusually serious air about them.

"And he'll find his tree before we leave," Silky promised.

"Silky, you take as long to get ready as Jules does," Rizzo laughed as the two of them joined the team, all of whom were ready to go.

"It takes some effort to look this good. Try it sometime, Rizzo," Silky teased. Julia took notice of Robbie and Jack, who seemed lost in a private conversation. She walked toward them quietly, wondering what they could possibly be whispering about. When she was about five feet from them, Jack noticed her and stopped talking quickly. Robbie looked confused for a second before he saw his friend. They both plastered smiles on their faces, attempting to appear nonchalant. Julia still wasn't even sure if she and Robbie were in a fight, but she was very sure that they were either talking about her or about something they didn't want her to know.

"Hey, Julsie," Jack greeted, but Julia was suspicious.

"Hi," she replied. She tried to bite her tongue, but the words slipped out before she could stop them. "If you two weren't done with your little gossip session, I can come back later."

Jack looked nervous, but before anyone could say anything, Herb's voice carried through the lobby.

"We don't all have to be late because Julia insists on being late," he informed the boys with a look to his niece. She just shrugged at Herb, running to catch up to Magic as he walked out the door. She was too irritated to walk with her best friend and boyfriend. Robbie and Jack shared a look, but didn't say another word to each other about their earlier conversation.

"You're leaving in two days," Magic frowned as they walked toward the rink. Luckily it was a short walk, as the December chill was strong.

"Magic, you can't keep saying that everytime I look at you," Julia whined.

"I don't know if it's worse to think about you leaving, or the fact that we're about to play the Soviets," Magic admitted.

"It's their "B" team, Magic. We'll be fine," Ralph Cox spoke up from behind them. Coxy always had a way of remaining positive.

"Don't lose the last game I see you play," Julia teased. The words tumbled out as she thought them, but immediately she regretted it. She and Magic looked at each other, both looking defeated. "I shouldn't have reminded you."

"It's not really the last game," Jimmy noted. "If you're still planning on coming to the Games, that is."

"Of course I am! It just feels like that will be different," she pointed out.

"No late night diner trips after a game in the Olympics," Magic said with a grin that didn't reach his eyes.

"Hey, what's happening to the Corvette?" Jimmy asked, thinking of the beautiful red car.