Chapter Ninety

December 28th, 1979
Dear Julsie,

I know you just left two days ago, but it feels like it's been forever already. Patti said the place was really nice, but I still worry about you. We won our last two games. We've got a bunch of road games coming up, but I'll be sure to write even if I'm not home to get your letters.

My parents sent me a really nice BU sweatshirt for Christmas. I might've mentioned that mine had disappeared. Haha. Don't freak out, but they know what happened. Not like the details or anything, but they know. And yes, they still love you. My mom said to make sure I tell you she's thinking of you.

How's everything going there? Do you feel like it's helping? Well, that's probably a dumb question because it's only been two days. Tell me all about it, or whatever you want to tell me. I'm proud of you, sweetheart.

x Jack

December 30th, 1979
Julia Rose Brooks,

You just couldn't let me have my moment, could you??? I know that we always joke that we're twins, but just because I go to rehab doesn't mean you have to go to rehab. And now I'm stuck sitting in this house watching Jim and Cyndi be in love and Stevie and Susan be parents. Everybody is in love. It's sickening!...But from what I hear, you're in pretty deep with the Boston kid. Jim says he sounds like a good guy, but you'll understand if I have to scare the daylights out of him just a little, right? I knew you would. Robbie sounds like he is currently wound tighter than a clock. It's just the Olympics, no pressure.

Stevie and Susan officially moved out. They're just down the road but it feels like they're forever away. I need you to get better so we can tour and I can find a gaggle of groupies to distract me. What did I tell you about rehab, though? It's a fancy prison with nurses and therapists. Get out and get back to Hollywood soon, or I'll be showing up in Minnesota to knock some sense into you. Love ya, kid.

Tommy

January 3rd, 1980
Dear Jules,

It is stupidly quiet here without you. Especially New Year's Eve. Don't tell them I told you this, but Robbie kissed Jack at midnight. We all agreed he was the closest replacement for you. Don't worry, I don't think Jack enjoyed it as much as he would've enjoyed kissing you. He's trying to not mope around, but between missing you and Herb working our asses off, there's not much more to do. I just wanted you to know I'm keeping an eye on him, just like you asked. Don't tell him I told you this either, but Silky said he hears a lot of your music coming from Jack's room.

Oh, you woulda loved this! Jimmy slipped on a patch of ice in the parking lot the other day and slid ten feet on his ass! Luckily nothing was hurt besides his ego. Magic is hovering over my shoulder to make sure I write SPECIFICALLY that he says hi. As you can imagine, everyone sends their well-wishes.

See you soon,
Rizzo

Jan. 9, 1980
Hi Julsie,

I hope you're feeling alright. We're playing in Tulsa tonight. After the game we're taking Mac out for his birthday. He got your card and it made him laugh. Herb made his final cut. It was Coxy. It really sucked, but I felt kinda relieved. The only thing left is for Herb to name a captain. I think it'll be either Buzzy or Rizzo. Mac always told me he learned to tune you out during games, but I still miss hearing you cheering for us. But I miss a lot about you. Road trips are definitely not as exciting, but nothing is as exciting without you.

I hope it's okay with you, but I talked to Jim. He was talking to Mac and wanted to talk to me. It was nice. We've talked a couple times now. He had a lot of good things to say about you. They miss you a lot. After practice the other day, Danny and I played one-on-one. He tries to hide it, but he really misses you too. I think he looks up to you, even if he would never admit it. Maybe he's finally realizing that his cousin is a literal rockstar.