Chapter Twenty-Nine

The next night the boys were playing the Canadian team once again, only this time it was at home. They were starting to draw a bit of a crowd to their home games, which was certainly making the games more fun for everyone, but there was no doubt the boys were starting to feel the pressure building up as they drew nearer to the Olympics everyday.

"I swear, Julia, you have more excitement in a week than I do in a month," Cyndi sighed over the phone. Julie sat in her bed, waiting to go with Patti and her cousins to the boys' game.

"He's great, I promise! You're going to love him," Julie promised. She was filling her bandmate in about David, twirling the phone cord around her finger again and again.

"Woah, we're going to meet him? You're that serious?" Cyndi questioned. Julie could hear the disapproval in Cyndi's voice, but she ignored it. 

"Cyndi, I'm telling you, he's amazing! He's funny and smart, and he makes me feel so comfortable," Julie sighed contentedly.

"Jules, may I remind you that you've been on one date with this guy? You don't even know if he's a psycho yet!"

"Ugh, you sound like the boys the other day," Julie scoffed. She rolled her eyes, despite knowing that her friend couldn't see her.

"Well, good. It makes me feel better knowing that the boys nag you just as much as I do. Lord knows someone has to keep you in line," Cyndi said.

"Julie! Come on, let's go!" Patti called from downstairs. Julie was more than happy to have to end the conversation.

"I gotta run. The boys have another game. I'll talk to you soon, okay?"

The two girls said their goodbyes and Julie rushed down the stairs where her aunt and cousins were waiting for her. The drive to the arena wasn't too long, especially with Danny talking about the team the whole way. When Herb had been offered the job, the whole family was thrilled, but Danny was especially excited about his dad's team and loved to talk about them to anyone who would listen. Julie wasn't paying too much attention to her cousin as he talked about each member of the team.

"What do you think of O'Callahan, Julie?" Danny asked excitedly. The mention of her name snapped her out of her daze.

"Sorry, Danny. What did you ask?"

"What do you think of O'Callahan?"

"You're too young to hear the language I'd like to use," Julie said with an eyeroll. Her aunt gave her a look from the corner of her eye.

"I think he meant as a hockey player," Patti pointed out to her niece.

"Oh. Then he's fine," Julie told them, trying not to sound as bitter as she felt. Ever since Jack had snubbed her the night before, she'd been annoyed with just the thought of him. When they pulled into the parking lot, Danny and Kelly were quick to get out of the car and rush towards the arena. Patti took her time, looking over at Julie.

"I thought you and Jack were friends?"

"I did too, but apparently I was wrong," Julie sighed, getting out of the car without another word. Patti sighed and followed Julie into the arena. They quickly met up with the McClanahans and went to their seats. Gayle had told them the previous night that she would be at the game, so they saved her a seat beside Kathy. As they all sat watching the game, Kathy and Gayle could sense Julie's sour mood.

"What's going on?" Kathy finally asked after the first period.

"I'm sick of Jack. One day he's being a total jackass about my date, then we make up and he saves my date, then he totally snubbed me in front of the whole team last night. He barely spoke to me. He's frustrating," Julie complained in a huff. Kathy and Gayle couldn't help but share a look. It appeared that their time spent discussing Jack and Julie was not coming to an end anytime in the near future.