Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Robbie! It's so pretty," Julia whined against the hood of a car.

"Julia, you don't need it," Robbie groaned.

"I don't need any car, but if I'm gonna get one, it needs to be this one. It's speaking to me," Julia sighed dramatically, running her hand over the shiny red paint.

"You need to learn to drive on something safe. Not a Corvette," he argued.

"Robbie, I'm buying the car," Julia finally decided. Robbie sighed, rubbing his forehead.

"Fine. Buy the damn Corvette. See how long you last in a Corvette during a Minnesota winter. Be my guest."

An hour later, Robbie was driving Julia's new Corvette to the hockey arena to get ready for practice. Julia was practically giggling in delight as she rode in the passenger seat of her new car.

"God, Robbie, it's so pretty! It? Does it seem like a "she" to you? What should I name her? People name cars right?"

Robbie tried not to bang his head against the leather steering wheel.

"I don't know, Jules. Name her whatever you feel like," Robbie told her.

"You don't seem very excited. She's so cute, Rob. Imagine how cute I'll look driving her," Julia squealed.

"You're such a diva. Honestly, this is the perfect car for you," Robbie laughed at her. "Herb is gonna blow a gasket when he sees this thing."

"I've been so good lately! I think I deserve a treat," Julia defended. Robbie stared straight ahead. before sighing.

"Jules, we need to talk real quick."

"What's going on?"

"If we teach you how to drive," he started before he hesitated for a moment. "Are you just gonna pack up and go to LA the minute someone's not paying attention?"

"Robbie, no. I'm not even welcome back in LA yet. And I promise that I won't leave town without saying goodbye to you ever again," Julia swore, looking at her friend. She knew that the night she left for LA without saying goodbye had permanently damaged Robbie's trust in her, and she couldn't blame him for that.

"Good. I don't even know if Herb is gonna be okay with you having a car and knowing how to drive," Robbie sighed.

"If he's not, I'll take the fall for it."

They didn't talk for the rest of the ride, but as soon as they pulled into the parking lot, Julia was elated. A bunch of the boys were outside, hanging around their cars when they saw the cherry red Corvette pull in. Robbie pulled up to where most of the boys were hanging out, all of their jaws dropped.

"Isn't my new car absolutely bitchin'?"Julia squealed when she hopped out of the passenger side.

"We make one comment about teaching you to drive, and you go out and buy a Corvette?" Rammer asked in shock.

"Seemed like fun," Julia shrugged.

"How'd you even get it?" Coxy questioned her.

"Robbie and I took a bus to the dealership and he drove it back," Julia explained as Robbie got out of the car.

"I tried to talk her out of it," Robbie sighed.

"I want a ride!" Ken Morrow grinned, moving towards the car.

"No! No one is driving it until I do. Except Robbie."

"Jules, this is crazy. Even for you," Jimmy told her.