Chapter Ninety-Seven

Julia brushed through her hair, creating perfectly fluffy feathered curls. She put on her favorite red lipstick and stood back to look at herself in the mirror of her hotel bathroom. She had changed into a black jumpsuit with bedazzled criss-crossed straps that created a diamond-shaped opening at her chest and left her back bare. She had paired it with silver heels and silver hoop earrings. She added a bit of shimmery eyeshadow to her made-up eyes. After spritzing on a sultry perfume, she grabbed her clutch and coat as she heard a knock on the door. On the other side of the door was Jack, looking dapper in a suit and tie.

"Wow, look at you," Julia ogled when she saw him. She leaned against the doorframe, looking him up and down. His eyes widened when he saw her.

"Me? Look at you. You're always a knockout, but you look especially beautiful," he told her, making her blush. He looked at the leather watch on his wrist. "You said they're meeting us here at 7? We should probably head down to the lobby."

Julia nodded, closing and locking her door behind her. Jack offered her his arm, which she happily took as he leaned down to kiss her cheek. They walked toward the elevator, making their way down to the lobby. She was confused to see Robbie, Rizzo, Silky, Magic, Rammer, Jimmy, and Buzz all downstairs, waiting around patiently.

"What are you guys doing?" She questioned. She couldn't imagine that they would be going out. Manhattan was expensive and could be considered dicey at night.

"Waiting to meet your band, of course," Silky told her as if it should have been obvious. "Who wouldn't want to meet rockstars?"

"What am I, chopped liver?" She asked, undeniably taking offense to what he had said.

"You just don't seem like a rockstar to us because you're our friend," Magic explained with a shrug.

"So, chopped liver," Jack confirmed with a smirk to her.

"I just wanna say hi to everyone," Robbie explained with a simple shrug.

"Ooh, Robbie knows all the rockstars already," Silky mocked, making everyone laugh. Robbie rolled his eyes and muttered something under his breath. Before anyone could speak, the revolving door spun around, letting in a rush of cold air. Julia looked over with baited breath, nearly screaming in excitement when she saw the familiar faces entering the lobby. Her bandmates, along with Susan and Michael stepped inside the lobby, looking around. Cyndi was the first to make eye contact with Julia.

"Jules! Happy birthday!" Cyndi squealed as the two women rushed toward each other, wrapping each other in a hug.

"It's so good to see you!" Julia exclaimed, nearly tearing up from how elated she was.

"Come here, kid," Jim said, pulling Julia in next. "Although you're twenty-two now, that's not really a kid."

"Hi," she laughed, reaching up to hug the tall man. Michael was waiting patiently for a brief hug. She turned to Steven next, hugging him and Susan. Susan held the baby on her hip as Julia fawned over him.

"Good to see you, troublemaker," Tommy said, his voice sounding proud. Julia laughed as the two of them hugged.

"You're one to talk," Julia scoffed. "You went to rehab first."

"Yeah, but you've still been arrested more than I have," Tommy reminded her. Everyone around them either sighed in exasperation or chuckled quietly. The hockey players had stood back, allowing her a few moments to catch up with her band. Robbie was the first to greet them, welcoming the band he had come to know well. Julia pulled away from them, her face glowing with happiness. All of them were looking past her at the group of men behind her. She suddenly remembered that the two groups didn't know each other, despite how much they had heard of each other.