Chapter Fifty-Three

Julia woke up early the next morning, quickly remembering she was in Kathy's bed. She yawned and turned over, silently cursing how unnaturally early she had woken up. In the dim morning light, she was able to make out the time on Kathy's bedside clock. Kathy slept silently beside her, undisturbed by the pale sunlight.

Too early for a Saturday. Or any day.

After a few more minutes of trying to coax her brain back to sleep, she huffed quietly and accepted the fact that she was awake for the day. She had planned to go to the boys' practice that morning, but she was even early for that.

A big stretch went through her body, before she realized how cold it was. She couldn't deny that she missed the weather in California. It was strange, though, how little time she spent thinking of California. She made a mental note to call home later that day, just to check in with them. Before that, she needed to get to practice and see the boys. Of course, there was one she was looking forward to seeing more than the rest of them.

Later that morning, Jack sat in Jimmy's car, which was filled with hockey players, and wondered if Julia would make an appearance at their practice that morning. The drive to the rink seemed unnaturally long, but he couldn't deny the excitement he felt when he saw the Corvette already parked in the parking lot.

"Oh, Jules is here," Silky pointed out upon noticing the cherry-colored car that always drew attention.

"Did she drive herself?" Jack questioned aloud. It felt like he was suddenly speaking in tongues, it having been the first time he willingly spoken about her since the night in Boston.

"Did she get her license?" Rizzo asked through a yawn. The question wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but Jack was the first to answer.

"I didn't know she had plans to take the test," he told them. As Jimmy parked the car near the Corvette, they saw Julia getting out with a white rectangular box in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. She looked up when she heard them all get out of the car, a smiling lighting up her face.

"Good morning," she greeted, unusually chipper compared to her usual morning self. She didn't let her eyes linger on Jack the way she wanted to, knowing her cheeks would heat up to a pink hue if she did.

"Morning. We missed you yesterday," Rizzo told her, embracing her in a hug while being careful not to disturb her box or her coffee.

"Patti took me to take my driving test. I passed! I'm a licensed driver!" She announced with a dazzling smile. The boys all congratulated her, giving her hugs. Not to look suspicious, Jack gave her a hug, being extra cautious to hug her for a normal amount of time, not too quick or too prolonged. Julia wanted nothing more than to hold on for a minute longer, but she let go when he did.

"And I brought donuts for after practice," she told them, holding up the box with a grin on her face.

"Jules, you're being unusually sweet this morning. Are you feeling okay?" Silky joked with a crooked smile. Julia gasped, shooting him a dirty look.

"I'm fine, thank you very much," she quipped with an eye roll. "Just in a good mood."

"What's got you in such a good mood? Anything we should know about?" Rizzo questioned with a raised eyebrow. Silky tried to hide a smirk.

"Yes. I passed my driver's test. Are you listening at all, Rizzo?" Julia sighed. Rizzo didn't press it any further as more of the team showed up, giving Julia more people to share the news with. Robbie was nearly as nervous as he was excited, mumbling something about bad decisions. Mark and Rammer were requesting rides in the Corvette, making Julia promise she would take them each sometime. Even Herb, Craig, and Doc were happy for Julia. Jack made sure to keep a safe distance, in spite of how badly he wanted to plant a congratulatory kiss on her.