Chapter Eighty-One

February 8th, 1978
The Plaza Hotel
New York, New York

"Happy birthday!"

Julia groaned as the weight of several adults engulfed her and her bed. She turned over, shoving her face into her pillow in an attempt to stay asleep.

"I'm sleeping," her voice came out muffled through the fabric of the pillow.

Michael watched from the doorway of the hotel room Julia and Cyndi shared as Cyndi, Steven, Tommy, and Jim laid in a heap on top of Julia.

"Not anymore," Cyndi laughed, ruffling her friend's already messy hair.

"You're not a teenager anymore. You have to start waking up at adult-appropriate times," Jim pointed out with a cheeky grin.

"Don't hold your breath," Julia grumbled, before finally turning over in bed. She looked at her bandmates, piled on top of one another, and smiled. "Thanks for remembering, guys."

"How could we forget your birthday? We're going to have the best time tonight," Tommy said with an excited smile.

Julia's face lit up when she remembered their plans. They were going to the infamous Studio 54. It was nearly impossible to get into the discotheque, but they had been assured by several of their more famous friends that they would certainly be granted entry into the exclusive club.

"Do I have time to go shopping?" Julia asked suddenly. She could tell by the sunlight peeking through the openings of the heavy curtains that it had to be afternoon already.

"Yeah, it's only 1:30. Dinner is at 8:30, and then we're heading to Studio 54 after. So plenty of time," Steven assured her.

"Would anyone like to join me?" Julia invited. She wanted a wardrobe refresh before the big event tonight, and she had always secretly preferred the New York fashion scene as opposed to Los Angeles.

"Me!" Both Cyndi and Tommy both answered quickly. Julia grinned, knowing she could always count on the two of them for retail therapy.

"Let me get dressed and we can go."

"No, no, no, wait!" Tommy stopped her. He reached over the side of the bed, picking up a bottle he had left on the ground. "You have to take a birthday shot."

Julia laughed as she sat up on her elbows, taking the bottle of Jack Daniels from Tommy.

"Here's to twenty!" She cheered before removing the cap and taking a swig from the bottle. It went down too easily for her having just woken up, but it was nothing she wasn't used to. Her friends clapped and cheered, as Tommy took the bottle back from her.

"And a Julie's-birthday-shot for me," he declared as he followed her lead.

"I have to make a few phone calls before we go," she told them, remembering she had promised to call her aunt and uncle, as well as Robbie. Her bandmates nodded, making themselves comfortable around the room. Tommy chose to make himself comfortable beside Julia, the bottle still in his hand.

With as much traveling as they did, it was far more simple for Julie to call her family rather than them trying to have all the numbers for the various hotels. She started by calling her aunt and uncle's house. After spending a few minutes talking to her aunt, she called Robbie's apartment. She doubted he would be around in the middle of the day on a Wednesday, but perhaps she could catch him between classes.

"Hello?" Phil Verchota answered after the first ring.

"Hi, Philly! It's Julie. Is Robbie there by any chance?"