Chapter Sixty-Eight

Jack woke up the following morning with a lump in his throat. He had slept okay once he finally fell asleep, but it took a few hours of glaring at his ceiling to finally get to sleep. He sighed to himself, the argument with Julia running through his head yet again. He knew he probably should've been a lot calmer, but it felt like a slap in the face when he found out Julia hadn't told Patti that they were more than a fling. He realized he hadn't been very clear with her about his feelings, but talking about feelings wasn't Jack's strong suit. He knew that was probably exactly what he was going to have to do later that day.

Rizzo, Jimmy, Robbie, and Mark sat in the kitchen, talking quietly amongst themselves. They were trying to use what little information they had gotten out of the couple to piece together what had happened. They had pretty much concluded that it was just the two of them overreacting, when Rizzo noticed how uncomfortable Robbie looked.

"Something on your mind, Mac?" Rizzo questioned. Robbie sighed, looking around to make sure no one had joined them in the kitchen. His voice was low as he spoke.

"I think this argument has a lot to do with Julia's dad. Tomorrow's the anniversary of the fire and his death," he explained. The boys looked pensive as he continued. "She always took it super hard when we were younger. The last couple years, I think she's gotten really messed up on drugs or alcohol and just like shut down. But now, she's back in Minnesota and sober. It probably doesn't help that Tommy's in rehab and everything with her mom..."

"Right," Jimmy nodded. "So this probably has less to do with Jack. Do you think he knows that?"

"I highly doubt it. I considered telling him last night when we got back, but I didn't want him to feel guilty," Robbie shrugged.

"Yeah, he would've felt like an ass," Rizzo agreed. "So do we wait and let her tell him?"

"I guess. But I don't think we're gonna see her today. She's going shopping with Kathy."

"You don't think they're gonna like, break up, do you?" Mark inquired, looking between all the boys.

"I doubt it, Magic. They're gonna argue, but we've seen how they can't stay away from each other. I'm sure they're gonna be fine," Jimmy guaranteed him. Mark nodded, and after a few seconds of silence, Jack walked into the kitchen. He looked at the group of boys at the table and sighed.

"Alright, let's get this over with," Jack chuckled, taking a seat beside Jimmy. The boys just glanced at each other and then at Jack. Jack sat there, looking at them expectantly. "Come on, let me have it. Tell me I was an asshole."

"OC, I don't think you're an asshole," Robbie finally spoke up. Jack looked mildly surprised.

"You don't?" He clarified.

"No. I've known Julia for a long time. I've fought with her a lot, too. I know that she knows how to push your buttons. You two are both stubborn," Robbie disclosed. Jack just nodded.

"I still feel bad. I don't like fighting with her," Jack admitted through a mumble, staring down at the table. The boys were a little surprised to hear an admission of guilt so quickly. Robbie and Rizzo glanced at each other, before Robbie sighed.

"OC, I think she's just stressed out. Don't take it personally," Robbie promised him.

"It was a stupid fight, anyway," Jack shrugged.

"Look, I don't know what really happened, but based off of how Jules took it, it may be in your best interest to call her and apologize later," Rizzo suggested. Jack hesitated, and the boys could see his bullheadedness showing up.

"She seemed pretty upset last night. I think you two just need to talk it out. Sounds like a big misunderstanding," Mark offered up.

"I'll talk to her," Jack decided, before frowning. "I forgot she won't be at practice today. She said she's going shopping with Kathy. How long do you think they'll be gone?"