Chapter Forty

"My friends are all really excited to actually hang out with you," David told Julia as they drove to his friends' party that Saturday. She had been a little hesitant to go, but David convinced her it would be fun. She felt bad that he spent so much time with her friends, yet she barely knew his.

"Are they excited to hang out with your girlfriend or excited to hang out with a rockstar?" Julia asked with a small laugh.

"Probably a little of both," David admitted. Julia was a little nervous to hang out with his friends, but she was more nervous about the party. She wasn't crazy about going to a party where she only knew her boyfriend, but he had promised her they wouldn't stay long if she wasn't having fun. She didn't know much about the U's campus, but David had told her his friends lived on the north end of campus, in a neighborhood they called Como. Julia was itching to smoke a cigarette by the time David parked the car.

"Is this the house?" Julia asked, slightly confused as David got out, coming around to open her door. The house they pulled up in front of was totally inconspicuous. Unlike most college parties, no one hung out around the front porch, and there was no loud music blaring from the windows.

"Yeah. Everyone's probably downstairs," David explained as Julia got out of the car. She shivered, pulling her coat around her tightly. It was probably the coldest night yet. She wore her favorite white faux fur coat, with a black turtleneck tucked into a black skirt. Her black boots clicked on the pavement as they approached the house. It wasn't her most practical outfit, as a light snow started to fall.

"Hey," David stopped her before they went in. She turned to look at him, before he leaned in and kissed her quickly. "It'll be fun, alright? Just relax and enjoy yourself."

"I'll try," she promised him, wiping the red lipstick from his face that had transferred from her mouth when they kissed. He took her hand, leading her into the small house. Once they entered, Julia could feel more of a party atmosphere. The upstairs was dimly lit, but from the basement came the sounds and smells of a party wasteland.

"Let's put your coat in the living room," David told her, helping her slip out of her coat. Julia inhaled, smelling the strong aroma of marijuana wafting up from the basement. She tensed up slightly, having not been around it in months. David grabbed her hand, leading her toward the stairs. Julia tried to keep an open mind as she followed him down. Led Zeppelin's "Dazed and Confused" poured through speakers, getting louder and loud as they descended.

"You made it!" A redhead called from her spot on a couch. Julia recognized her as Sharon, the girl she met briefly after the hockey game. The man she was with, Bobby, laid across the couch, barely conscious. Sharon slowly untangled herself from all the people on the couch, getting up and making her way to David and Julia.

"Hi," Julia said quietly. She knew the look in Sharon's eyes. She had seen it in the mirror so many times. Sharon lazily pulled Julia into a hug, leaning her weight on Julia.

"I'm so excited to get to know you," Sharon gigged before David pulled her away.

"Let's not scare her, huh, Shar?" David laughed. Julia smiled politely at the girl, looking around the basement. Posters of musicians hung up all over the walls. Scarves, pillows, and blankets littered the couches and floors. People laid scattered around, passing pipes and bottles, talking amongst each other.

"Come sit with us," Sharon encouraged, pulling Julia and David to the couch, shooing people to make room for the couple.

"So, Julia, why are you in Minneapolis?" Sharon jumped into conversation immediately.

"Oh, uh, my family is here," Julia stuttered, not looking down at the coffee table in front of her. She knew what was on it, and she only prayed for the strength to not touch it.

Back to Where We Started From (Miracle) On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara