Chapter Sixty-Nine

Patti was awake even earlier than usual. She stood in the kitchen making dough for biscuits as the pale sunlight just started to stream in through the windows. She hadn't slept well the night before, mostly because she knew her husband and niece would both be restless. She tried to prepare for the rough day ahead of them as well as she could. She had reminded Danny and Kelly, who had little to no memory of their uncle, about how Herb and Julia might seem distant.

"Morning," Herb mumbled as he walked into the kitchen. He went straight to the coffee machine, pouring himself a cup. "You're up early."

"So are you," Patti mused as Herb refilled her coffee cup, as she was still busy making dough.

"I didn't sleep much," Herb shrugged, sitting at the table. Patti just nodded knowingly. Herb wasn't one to talk about his feelings, and Patti didn't try to make him. They sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes as Patti worked on breakfast and Herb watched the sunrise as he worked through several cups of coffee.

By the time Danny and Kelly had made their way downstairs, Patti was just finishing up the biscuits and gravy.

"Do you think Julia wants breakfast?" Patti asked Herb, trying to sound nonchalant, despite the fact that they were both worried about her.

"I'll go see," Herb volunteered, getting up from the table. He made his way up to Julia's room, guessing that she would still be asleep. It was rare that she naturally woke up before eleven. He knocked on the door, not expecting a reply.

"Yeah?" Came Julia's voice from the other side. Herb pushed open the door, seeing her lying in bed, one hand on her pillow under her face.

"Morning," Herb said quietly. Julia glanced over to him, not lifting her head off the pillow. She looked tired, but Herb could tell she had been awake for a long time.

"Morning," she replied just as softly.

"Patti made breakfast. Are you hungry?" Herb asked her, sitting on the edge of the bed. She shook her head.

"No, but tell her thank you."

"Are you going to the game later?"

"I don't think so," she whispered, her eyes staring straight ahead at her wall.

"Are you doing okay?" Herb asked her gently, watching her face for any reaction. Julia sighed, tears clouding her blue eyes.

"I just wanna lay in bed and have a bad day. Can I do that?"

"Is that gonna make you feel better?" Herb asked her.

"Probably not, but at least I won't have to deal with anyone," Julia admitted with a deep breath.

"You don't wanna see anyone?" Herb clarified.

"Just this wall and the inside of my eyelids," Julia confirmed.

"Alright. If that's what you want," Herb nodded, getting up and leaving her room. He closed the door, heading back down to the kitchen. Patti was placing food on the table in front of Danny and Kelly. She looked up expectantly when she heard Herb come in.

"Is she coming?"

"Nope," Herb informed her, sitting down at the table. "She has decided to stay in bed and not interact with anyone today."

Patti took a seat across from Herb, giving him a look of disapproval.

"Herb, that cannot be good for her," Patti sighed.

"Why? It's what she wants to do," Herb reminded his wife.

"If we let her do what she wants all the time we would be living in chaos," Patti pointed out. Danny and Kelly giggled quietly.