chapter 3 part 5 of 5

“You have to promise me that you will work hard to keep your grades up, otherwise you will have to repeat the year.”

Ruby nodded and walked to wards the door, but Mrs. Marigold called her back. “Wait! Ruby, I want you to do me a favor and try to befriend Meg. It must be hard to move, especially during the year, and after what happened in class today, I’m afraid the other students won’t be as nice to her. Can you please try?”

Ruby promised, and then she was allowed to leave. As she walked towards the willow tree, she stopped and pulled an apple off a tree for lunch. Then, she found Charlie sitting at his usual spot. “So, what was that all about?”

“Oh she was just worried about my grades. She wanted me to work harder and try to keep my grades up,” Ruby replied as she bit into the apple.

“I’m glad you didn’t shrug this time,” Charlie said and Ruby laughed. Ruby stopped laughing quickly, surprised at the sound that came out of her. She never laughed, and the sound of her laughter was new to her. It was a beautiful laugh, one that makes everyone who hears it smile. It was a laugh one would expect to come from a beautiful, happy young child, for the laugh was innocent and alive.

Charlie seemed to notice this too, for he stopped and said, “Rue, I think that is the first time I ever hear you laugh. It’s cute.”

Ruby blushed and then said, “Thanks. I feel the same way.”

“Well Ruby, there’s something I want to tell you,” Charlie said, speaking in a more serious tone. “Today, I decided that I’m going to speak to Darcy. About everything.”

Ruby’s eyes widened. “No Charlie, don’t. Forget about Darcy.”

“Are you guys talking about Darcy?” Meg asked, coming up to them.

“Hey Meg,” Ruby said, and he face brightened. “Thanks for defending me during class today.”

“You’re welcome. Can I sit with you guys?”

Ruby patted the ground next to her, and Meg sat down gratefully.

“Here Ruby,” Charlie said as he handed her a paper bag. “I got you lunch.”

“Oh Charlie you shouldn’t have. Thanks,” she said, and bit into her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, though she didn’t like it a lot. He smiled at her, and everyone was quiet for a minute, not wanting to talk in front of Meg.

Finally Ruby broke the silence. “So Meg, where did you move to?”

“Oh, I now live in a town called Peetri,” said Meg, her eyes on the ground.

Charlie and Ruby exchanged looks, as if to say, ‘that’s a pretty poor town.’

“What kind of soup are you eating?” Charlie asked her.

“It’s not really soup. It’s just rice and broth,” Meg replied, obviously not comfortable with the topic. Just before Ruby could change the topic, Darcy came up to them. “I see you are still hanging out with that thing, Charlie. Now, don’t you want to join me and actually sit with a normal person for a change?”

“No thank you. I’m fine where I am. Ruby is my friend, un-” Charlie started before Ruby interrupted him. “Darcy. Please just stop. Charlie, you too.” She gave him her warning face.

“Darcy can’t you be nice for once? You are making a bad impression on me,” Meg interrupted. “Just leave him alone.”

“Learn to mind your own business, Margret. Otherwise, I will make you,” Darcy challenged.

“They can befriend whoever they want to Darcy, so just stop,” Meg said.

As Darcy was about to reply, the bell rang. “You got lucky this time, but just you wait until I’m done with you Margret chance. Just you wait.”

As everyone began to pile back inside, Ruby held Charlie back and said, “Yeah she has secrets and may be a poor girl, but so what? She seems like a great person. Maybe she’s not that bad after all.”

so i hoped u guys enjoyed this chapter and plz comment so i can know what u think i wnt atleast 10 comments and if there is ill definately make sure i update next week i prompise only if theres atleast 10 comments remember