chapter 8 part 2 of 5

Great idea! Since you know the house better, why don’t you sneak in and tell Ruby? I will wait for you here,” Meg said.

Charlie went and was back in five minutes. They quickly hurried to Charlie’s house and then to the store to buy her everything she needed, which was a lot. Thankfully, they were back in fifty minutes and by then, Ruby managed to clean the whole house. Just as they gave the food to Ruby, her stepparents came, and Charlie and Meg quickly snuck out before they could be spotted.

“So you finally finished?” Regina asked. “Well you are one lucky girl, because we can’t have all our guests seeing a disgusting girl like you in our house. So scram. And don’t come back until after tomorrow. You better be here in the morning then, otherwise you will pay for it.”

Ruby was so excited, she actually ran out of the door before they could change their mind. They never did this before. “So did you guys hear?”

“Yep we did. Let’s go to my house then,” Charlie suggested.

“Okay why not?” Ruby said with a smile, and off they went. Ruby felt happy walking between her two friends. They learned the truth and didn’t deny it. And she was actually starting to believe that her stepparents were getting nicer. She felt like she wanted to fly to the moon. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard Meg call her name.

“Oh sorry,” Ruby apologized. “What did you say?”

“I asked if you like Charlie’s house. You know, is it nicer than Darcy’s?” Meg asked.

“Oh,” Ruby said, her cheeks turning a slight pink. The truth was that she had never been to his house before. “It’s, you know, a house.”

Meg glanced at her thoughtfully. “Okay Ruby. I guess I will just have to wait and see.”

Charlie knew that this was making Ruby uncomfortable, so he changed the topic. “Alright guys, here is the plan. We go home, sleep, and then in the morning enjoy ourselves to our heart’s content. I was thinking maybe a basketball game to start off the day. Of course, we should probably have a small snack before we sleep. I’m starving! Anyone disagree?”