chapter 6 part 2 of 4

So if I am the best and she is the best, one of us has to be better. Who is it?” Charlie played along.

“Okay you guys are crazy!” Ruby shrieked. “I will not answer that question.”

“Oh yes you are,” Charlie began, holding back a smile.

Just then, a group of boys came running towards them, saving Ruby from answering. Tom asked, “Hey Ruby, do want to judge our race? And Charlie and Meg, do you guys want to be in the race?”

“Sure,” they all said. As they started to get up, Charlie nudged Ruby and said, “We aren’t going until you answer the question.”

“Oh no I’m not!” Ruby squealed and she took off running. Charlie and Meg were both quick to follow her, and around the whole school yard the chased her, until Charlie and Meg gave up, feeling really worn out and tired. She ran all the way back to the tree where the confused boys were watching them. Charlie and Meg staggered after her.

“Boy Ruby, you still have a lot of energy left, even after that!” Billy exclaimed.

“I guess you won whatever it was you guys were doing,” Dave said, and everyone laughed.

“Okay let’s go set up the race!” Ruby said, and everyone ran to the starting point. Ruby started to go, but Charlie held her back. “Hey Ruby I am too tired to race and so is Meg. Do you think her and I should sit aside and talk about certain things? I think she should know the whole truth.”

Ruby thought for a minute before answering, “Why not? I think I can trust her. Go for it Charl.”

After that, Ruby went to join the rest of her class. She passed by Darcy standing by herself near the fence, but when their eyes locked, Darcy frowned and went inside the school. Despite all the problems she brought, Ruby couldn’t help but feel bad for her.

Meanwhile, Charlie led Meg back to the tree and got comfortable. “Ruby and I owe you a story. It’s a little long and some