chapter 12

hey guys so im going to try writing the story this way tell me if u like it better

so heres the next chapter enjoy

“Wow,” said Charlie. “This place really hasn’t been touched. Remember, Rue, when your father let us play hide and seek while he worked?”

“Yeah, and I always used to hide in the same spot. Under my dad’s desk,” Ruby recalled.

“Wow Ruby, you have good memory. I never would have remembered something that long ago.” Meg remarked. 

“Me too,” Charlie agreed. “I was five, so I remember it a little, but you were only three!”

“What can I say?” Ruby shrugged. “Anyway, let’s get to work. Meg, you search the file cabinets over there, Charlie, you work on those shelves, and I will search his desk.”

Everyone worked quietly for a while. It was Meg who interrupted the silence. “Look what I found guys! It’s a baby album. Let’s look through it!”

“Cool! Let’s look through it,” Charlie said.

Let’s not,” Ruby snatched the album. “It probably has embarrassing pictures of me.”

“Come on Ruby. It could be helpful,” Charlie begged.

“I doubt it,” Ruby replied.

“Please,” Meg begged.

“Oh all right,” Ruby said with a sigh. She sat on the carpeted floor and leaned her back onto the wall. Her two friends sat on either side of her, like book ends. Ruby examined the outside first. It was a big, yellow, album with a teddy bear border. In the middle of the book was a big red heart that filled up maybe half of it. On the first page, Ruby found a note.

“For the joy of our lives, in which we will always treasure.”

                                -Thomas and Marietta Henderson

Ruby tried to picture her parents writing this, but she couldn’t. Going back to the photo album, she turned the page to the first picture. It was her father and her mother on a boat. Her father was holding a large fish, a funny expression on his face, and her mother was standing behind him, a big grin on hers. She was very beautiful, with red locks of curly hair and eyes that were a mix of ocean blue and jade green. Her eyes had a playful twinkle in them, and her facial expression was very joyful. She was wearing a long, teal dress, and even though it was plain, it looked great on her. The cottony material and its flowing style looked great, especially since the wind seemed to make it flow even more. She had her arms around her husband’s neck, and the only jewelry she had on was her wedding ring, a beautiful diamond ring.

‘This is my mother,’ Ruby thought, as she traced the outline of her face. ‘This is what she would have looked like if she was alive today.’