chapter 21

hey guys i dont understand why no one will comment whats so hard about telling me what u think of the story just cause ill feel bad at leaving u guys at a cliff hanger is the reason im updating oh and also i posted my second story so plz check it out 

Screams pierced the air merely seconds after the gun was shot. The three adults gasped and stared, unable to move. Devlin and Regina tried to run, but the officers surrounded them and took the gun. Then they led them to a waiting car.

*************

Meg and Charlie were the last ones to leave the house. When they heard the gunshot, they hurried to the door and looked out. They both stood, shocked at what they saw. There, in the middle of the crowd, sat Ruby staring in horror at none other than Darcy Hill.

Darcy lay on the ground, her hand clutching the wound in her stomach.

"Darcy?" Ruby stammered. "I... I don't get it."

"I'm ... I'm sorry," she gasped. "F-for everyth-th-thing. I've always been jealous of you. Everyone loved you more than me. Even Meg loved you more. After Meg came, I realized how much trouble you were in. I decided t-to protect you. To be... your... Invi-vis-ible shield. I followed you. Everywhere. I learned about your plans. I-I left you the clothes the other day. I did all of this be...cause I love you. You... are the only... friend I ever h-h-had. I des-s-serve this. I was mean to... you. I accept. My punishment and I'm prepared to.... Die for you. But only.... Only if you... Please forgive me."

"Oh dear Darcy," Ruby whispered. "My lifelong friend. You were my first friend, and I never stopped considering you as my friend. Even if the whole world turned their back on you, I will still stand by your side. Of course I will forgive you. I have waited my whole life for this moment, and I wish it didn't have to be this way. I'm sorry. Sorry that you are hurt because of me. Sorry that you have to die because of me. I would never want to hurt you, but now I did. It is I who must ask for your forgiveness, not the other way around. I don't want you to die. I don't want you to leave me. We still have our whole life ahead of us. As friends. Don't leave me Darcy. We can still start over. Please. I love you. Darcy, I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry I can't make you life longer. But I can't lose you Darcy! I lost my mom, I lost my dad, but I can't lose you too! Please Darcy, for me, try to hang in there! Please!"

"I would do anything for you Ruby, my best friend..... And that.... Is why.... I am dying..... Right now. I am willing... to sell my life.... for yours, and I am ready to... go. I want you to.... Know Ruby... that you are.... Special, and.... That I love you.... so much. I don't want to leave you...... but I have no choice. I'm a .... Bad person... and bad people..... Should be punished. Don't be.... Too upset."

"You're not a bad person! You aren't. I don't care what anyone says, but you are a great person. An amazing person. My life will crumble without you. Please Darcy don't die! Don't leave me behind all on my own!"

"Ruby... none.... Of us..... Can change.... Destiny. Please..... Just... forgive me."

"Oh I do! I forgive you from the bottom of my heart, and I hope you do too!"

"Then I.... can die.... Knowing.... That you forgave me.... Thank you.... thank you Ruby..... I will... never.... Forget you."

Darcy closed her eyes, and laid her head in Ruby's lap. Ruby placed her hands around Darcy's cheek. When she realized Darcy was taking her last breathes, she gripped Darcy's hand tighter and whispered, "Say hi to my parents for me."

******************************

The whole town came to the funeral of Darcy. There was not a single dry eye in the church. Ruby sat silently between her uncle and Charlie, with Meg on Charlie's other side. Charlie's eyes were red, his face stained with tears. Ruby's uncle squeezed her shoulder, trying to hold back his own tears. He wasn't mourning Darcy's death though; just his sister's death, and her husband's death too. Everyone listened as the priest spoke, and followed along whenever it was necessary. Everyone, except Ruby. She sat as still as a stone, still in shock.