chapter 4 part 2 of 4

Ruby shrugged and he slapped her. The impact of his hand slapping her cheek brought her to her knees, screaming from the pain. Then, she looked up and saw her stepmother, smiling smugly, holding a pot of steaming water. Slowly, she poured it onto Ruby’s head, and Ruby screamed. Devlin smiled, and held her down while Regina finished pouring the water. Then, the two walked out, leaving the agonizing girl all alone.

****************************

Outside, Charlie crouched beneath the window and gritted his teeth. It took all he could do not to go in and hit them. He hid in the bushes as the pair walked out, he heard Regina call over her shoulder to tell Ruby she wanted the house to sparkle when she came back. They entered the black car, and they soon drove off., once they were out of sight, Charlie jumped up and climbed inside the window, anxious to check on Ruby. “Ruby! What just happened?”

Ruby’s face was caked with tears, and she shivered despite the heat. Her hair was dripping water, and her clothes clung to her. She shivered again, and Charlie pulled her close. Almost instantaneously, she stopped shivering. “H-How d-d-d-did you get in here?” she asked.

“Through the window. I followed you home, because I was worried something might happen, and I was right. What did they do to you?” he asked, concerned.

She pulled away from him and turned around, her back to his face. “They hit me and then poured boiling water on me.”

“Oh my god! No wonder you are wet! You should go change your clothes before you catch a cold,” Charlie exclaimed.

Ruby turned red. “I don’t have anything else to wear.”

Charlie looked surprised. “Wait here,” he told her, and he ran off into the house.

“Charlie, wait!” she called, but he didn’t turn around. Too tired to chase after him, she sat down. After a minute, he emerged with one of Regina’s nightgowns. I gasped and started to talk, but he quieted me. “It’s better to wear this than to die of a cold. Here, let me help you to the cottage so you can sleep.”

“But my work, my cleaning, my-” she started, but he interrupted her. “Don’t worry about it. Everything will be okay.”

Then, he swooped down and lifted her. She shrieked, but he was determined. He carried her to her cottage and lay her down on her bed. “Go to sleep Ruby. Forget about all of this.”

Ruby nodded, and then, as he walked out, whispered, “Thank you.” he turned around, and smiled for a minute, before leaving, closing the door behind him with a click.

***************