chapter 2 part 4 of 6

Charlie turned around, and stared at her, eye to eye. Ruby took a deep breath, and then continued, “I promise I will tell you what happened!”

Without saying a thing, Charlie sat on the floor underneath the window. Ruby, grateful he didn’t leave, studied the envelope quickly. It was worn out, and it had her full name, Ruby Henderson, scrawled across it. She quickly opened it and silently read.

Dear Ruby,

I know that you do not know me, but I know all about you, even the things you are hiding from your closest friend. Believe me when I tell you I can get you out of your problems, but a problem like yours will take time. Please do not lose hope, Ruby, and hang in there. I will reveal my identity to you when the time is right. If I do it anytime earlier, my plan might fail. Now please make sure your stepparents don’t see this letter, otherwise we will both be dead. Let me give you some advice to help you for the moment. Find someone you trust, and only to them share your feelings. To know if someone deserves your trust, watch for the sign that that person honestly cares and loves you. Look for the person who would sell the whole world to help you. I will write back soon!

Sincerely,   

A friend

P.S. I hope it did, but I sent the letter so it would reach you on October 8. We both know how important that day is.

Ruby looked up and stared at the trees in front of her. Trust was not something Ruby liked. It had failed her many times in the past before, as for her father, but Ruby believed her friend was right. The only way she could get through this was through a trustworthy person, and she could only think of one person who she could trust, and that person sat beneath her window, a frown on his face. Ruby took in a deep breath and then slowly let it out. Then, she dangled her head out the window until she could reach Charlie. Then, she slowly ran her fingers through his chestnut hair. Charlie looked up, and had to smile. Ruby looked so helpless, sitting in her locked cell, her long, wavy auburn hair a mess, her green eyes both sad and happy. The few freckles sprinkled on her face seemed to increase when the sun shone on her face. Then, he looked down to her hand holding the letter, and frowned. He had to look away, as it was getting worse and worse every minute. He slowly stood up and said, “Well?”

Ruby, who was about to begin, suddenly shrieked.