chapter 2 part 1 of 6

hello its me well obviosly  or i wouldn't be upadating right now well heres chapter 2  ope u enjoy it and don't forget to comment what u think

The sun had already set by the time Ruby left the hospital, and the weather was cool, just the way Ruby loved it. Ruby was glad she wasn’t trapped inside, shut away from this wonderful weather. Today, she was going to take her time getting home because she wanted to enjoy it.

“Why didn’t you tell Mrs. Marigold the truth?” Ruby asked as they walked away.  She was walking slightly ahead of him, and he watched as her shoulder slowly went up, and then down.  “What started that fight anyway?” Ruby gave him another shrug.

Charlie looked down and breathed out. “Sometimes, I really don’t get you Ruby.”

Ruby stopped, and bit her lip. She slowly turned around, and saw that his brown eyes were filled with confusion and sadness. His lips formed a frown, and his hands were deep in his pockets. “I’m sorry,” she said softly. “I just don’t want to talk about it now.”

Charlie looked up, and opened his mouth to speak. When he saw how frail Ruby looked in her filthy dress, her hair hung loosely, and how sad her emerald green eyes were, he knew he couldn’t refuse. “It’s ok. I understand.”

They began to walk again, though it was now silent. Both were filled with thoughts, not ready to speak a word. When they finally reached Ruby’s house, Charlie stopped at the gate. Ruby opened the gate and slowly closed it. She was about to thank him, but he had already left. Feeling fatigue, she walked up the pathway towards her log cabin. She was not in the mood to see her stepparents and pretend to be respectful to them.  She slowly pushed the wooden door open, and was surprised to find Regina in the room, pacing around the room wildly. Upon hearing the door, she turned around wildly and grabbed Ruby’s hand. “Where have you been?!” she screamed, and then spotted the splint on the other hand. She smiled, and pulled her towards the mansion. There, Devlin was waiting for their arrival. He grabbed Ruby by the hair and said, “Where have you been!”

“None of your business!” she screamed, and he slapped her violently. Ruby fell back; her uninjured hand flew to her face. Devlin stared at her and said, “You ungrateful child! This is how you repay us for raising you properly after your dear father was gone! You must have learned disrespect from school. Well you know what? From now on, no school for you!”

Ruby couldn’t help but cry. “Not school! Anything but that! Why are so cruel to me? Why do you treat me like this? What have I ever done to you?”

Regina, who had left the room a minute earlier, reappeared and said, “Shut up you fool. It seems like we need to punish you. Devlin darling, we need to step out and discuss our further plans. Until then, I have a gift for you. Come closer child.”

Ruby stood firmly, not wanting to move closer. Regina called again, but Ruby simply turned around and started to walk towards the door. In the flash of an eye, Devlin had Ruby tackled and pinned to the floor, struggling to free herself from his grasp. He pulled off his shoe and started beating her violently. “Don’t you EVER disobey your mother, you hear me!? Now get up and go closer to her! NOW!”